Skip to main content
Topic: Edelbrock intake - sensor and vacuum port info (Read 2253 times) previous topic - next topic

Edelbrock intake - sensor and vacuum port info

Below I have posted an image of the intake I have and need the mapping for the sensor installs and whatever else these areas are used for.
I have numbered and color coded the example so they can be properly shown for response info.
Thanks.
X

I need specific info on what is best to be installed in #1, #2, #4 & #8 as shown in the example.
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106

Reply #1
What are you wanting to install? Typically the main vacuum for the vehicle will come off the base of the carburetor. Other than that just plug what you are not using.

Without knowing what you are trying to install it's hard to help.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #2
#1 is fitting  to run a heater hose to the heater core
#2 Temp gauge
#4 main vacuum line to vac tree
#8 a plug. it usually gets in the way of the throttle cable bracket.

Reply #3
I'm one for taking the vacuum prior to the fuel mixing with the air so the #4 position would be a no go for me.

Darren

Reply #4
Quote from: Aerocoupe;446619
I'm one for taking the vacuum prior to the fuel mixing with the air so the #4 position would be a no go for me.

Darren
Agreed if the PCV is installed into that #4 runner you'll likely have a lean misfire at idle... Something like a connection to transmission modulator valve is OK as it isn't a controlled leak as is the PCV...

In the olden days Ford often used a balance tube between upper and lower sides of intake, but the modern way is use vacuum port on base of carb or maybe a from a spacer under carb...

Reply #5
Anything under the base plate of the carb is going to be mixed with fuel.

Reply #6
Quote from: Aerocoupe;446627
Anything under the base plate of the carb is going to be mixed with fuel.

Anything in a runner will be mixed with fuel also, resulting in far to lean mixture the the cylinder... At least at back of carb it's distributed among all cylinders, probably wouldn't be noticeable(at least not after a minor carb mixture adj)

Ford originally pulled that trick on the 302 in my Comet, only vacuum tap was in #7 intake runner, so had a dead miss when I got it due to combination of PCV valve and a vacuum leak in the HVAC system... Prior years vac pickup had been in the plate under carb but in late '72 a EGR valve was mounted on plate, so intake had to supply vacuum... Yeah I sped all that primitive EGR system...

Reply #7
I went with a valve cover PCV on the rear passenger side because the valve cover vent K&N air filter that I used for the clean air in was in the route of the heater hoses coming out the firewall. The PCV was small enough to be placed in between the 2 heater core hoses (shown). I ran hose from PCV to the oil catch can, then from the can, to the front center carb PCV fitting.

X

Brakes, Vacuum Assist
My car came with the vacuum assisted brakes line coming from the booster vacuum to the vacuum tree on the firewall.
Carb instructions said to connect brake booster vacuum to the base carb fitting at the rear of the carb. So, I just ran a sub-hose from the vacuum tree, to the rear carb base. (Shown above) because extra fittings were available on the vacuum TREE. (should the booster vacuum be independent and hooked to carb directly?, or is coming from the tree ok?

Below is what I will do for intake sensor and vacuums holes. (Thanks Thunderblackjack) I changed decision after reading about a miss caused possibly from using the #4 intake port for vacuum and will go to base carb. As specified by others. I definitely don't want a lean cylinder which seems a good possibility if taken from the intake.
X

This is what I am using for PCV & Brake Vacuum assist, so far
X
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106