Skip to main content
Topic: 88 sport rebuild , need advice (Read 25372 times) previous topic - next topic

88 sport rebuild , need advice

Reply #15
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;418090
Scott i have a ho cam if you want it. Just pay shipping

that would be great, is it in good shape?

Reply #16
Quote from: Haystack;418092
on sd, you'll need a tune for 24 or higher injectors.

I am confused about the explorer motor, i thought they cam with higher than 19lbs
i didnt know the eeciv could be tuned??????????
i dont want to add this complication to the build,, but if its required i need to adjust.

i know there are people out there who have done 331 stroker kits and went through the hurdles already, tryng to muster up some knowledge base so i dong get caught without the right parts.

i do have an 86 Linc MKVII HO EEC with the following info~i assume this is a speed density eec
EEC IV
SFI-SD1
e6sf-12a650-L1b

the safety sticker has another sticker atop of it with "VL1" on it

Reply #17
the explorers I've seen were 19#.

you can get 24# off of a fuel injected 460. they use the j3 port on the computer to alter certain inputs and out puts to the computer to trick it into using the proper amounts of fuel,ect. the calibrated mass air meters do essentially the same thing.

there is no reason you can't run it on 19#. my boss has a supercharged  stang with 19#. you'll just run out of fuel at higher rpm's.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #18
my cheat sheets show 19lb injectors are good for about 285hp,, with a 331, that is cutting it close,,,,,,,,,
but........
close may be a good idea.  i just dont want the same issue he has now at wot, the car falls out unless he backs off the pedal (running 14lb inj now)

so is this eec i posted SD HO?
would it be compatable with a 331? with a 30 over bore?
sorry to sound random, i just need to be talked "in" or "out" of a plan.

Mason really wants the 331 kit and with a bore along with the explorer top half, that should get him taken care of.

Reply #19
id personally do at least 24#.

you can get it happensrunning fine on 19#, but you will probably run lean at high rpm's. then you would need either a tune or chip. you would probably want one with a stroker anyways

id go 347 if it were me. price is identical. a stroker doesn't necessary make more power, it makes more power at a lower rpm. it will also run out of air/fuel quicker.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #20
my son is still trying to locate a brand for his stroker kit...

the difference in resistance on the injectors is a topic i need to cover as well, seems the 19lb are about two homes more resistance than the gray 14lb,  got me curious on the 24's and such.

Reply #21
If you're going to build a stroker, 331 is the way.  That is unless you plan to run a betting pool on how long the rings will last.  On a 331, run 24's  you can get them off any Mustang or Crown Vic with a 4.6 or anything else with a modular.  Get a Quarterhorse from Moates, it can read the base program from the EEC and then let you tune from there without shutting the engine off.  That way you don't have to build a custom tune from scratch.  Forget about the 14's.  Kill them with fire.

Reply #22
Build a 347. There is no substitution for CUBES!! And a stand alone and be dun with it.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #23
Quote from: jcassity;418111
that would be great, is it in good shape?

Yeah it as a little surface rust but its been on my bench since november.

Reply #24
Quote from: TOM Renzo;418132
Build a 347. There is no substitution for CUBES!! And a stand alone and be dun with it.
I don't know, Tom, I'd sacrifice 16 cubes for longevity.  Set a TFS stage 1 cam in it and never think about the 16ci you could have had, never use a drop of oil, and never worry about the ridge you might have been cutting into the outboard side of your cylinder walls whilst grinding your rings into oilborne metallic dust. 
Giving up 16ci might cost you a tiny bit of power, but it's gonna save you money in the long run.

Reply #25
Foe for all good reasons the 347 has been a very good choice when increasing displacement for the small ford engine. The wrist pin thing has been resolved and the added TORQUE is significantly more on the 347 compared to the 331. So Jay has a heavy car and he needs all the torque he can get. Remember displacement is mandatory on an NA engine that is a small engine in a heavy car. All the issues related to the 347 has been corrected. They last and they do not have an oil control issues any more. Go for the extra torque and call it a day. Go for the cubes no matter how slight they may be. Bigger engine means bigger TORQUE. Just saying!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #26
I've seena couple of local stang guys with over 100k on 347.blocks pushing close to 500hp. when I asked why they didn't go 331 they just laughed.and walked.away.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #27
hey guys,, i thank you all for helping.

Tom, i think what i am leary about is the 347 rod angle issues, this will be a daily driver and if its not a track car, it might last longer but still, wear is wear on the middle of each stroke.

I also appreciate the advice on the 24lb injectors and thier source.
i may need to fall back on that info.

is the following feasable,, meaining will it work? and work well enough for a daily driver?
-302 block .030 over with machine work to the deck if required
-331 stroker kit (347 option is not off the table)
-MKVII SD EEC HO
-HO Cam
-19lb injectors  (can the MkVII EEC manage the 24lb injectors if i go that way?
-replacement fuel pump as haystack suggested
-2 1/2 dual exhaust
-Explorer headers
-explorer upper
-explorer lower
-bbk TB spacer
-65mm TB
-Explorer GT irons  and have them milled down a little to freshen up the surface

*will i need a steel distributor gear or now to run against the HO cam?
*are there any possible issues with ptv on using explorer heads on stock 88 pistons *if* i am talked out of a stroker?

foe,
is what you are describing expensive and would it be complated to understand and get up and running in the short time frame we have to get mason back to work?

Reply #28
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;418133
Yeah it as a little surface rust but its been on my bench since november.

ok, i appreciate it

scott cassity
hc83 box 70A
gap mills wv 24941

where did the cam come from,,?  let me know how much

Reply #29
you will need a.chip or some type of tune, or even stand alone to run 24#. plan on this unless  you already have the 19#. ford explorer injectors fit but have a different plug.

stock dist works fine on any roller cam. there is nothing different between them and the.h.o. motors. the 331 or 347 will take the same amount of machine work, the 347 will have more power, and most 331 kits have the same stroke and rod ratio as 347 kits.

there is no reason to go 331, at all. this is old thinking as tom pointed out. you would learn a lot from sbftech.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.