Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 ThunderBird Turbo Coupe to 5.0Li and AOD (Read 13715 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 ThunderBird Turbo Coupe to 5.0Li and AOD

So I have a 1987 TC and would like to put a 1984 5.0L in it. I'm currently tearing the old 5.0L apart and plan to rebuild it and get a little more HP out of it. My dad said the v8 came carbureted and I'd like to know if I can get a EFI system for it so that its more reliable and more power too.

Planning on getting a rebuild kit for it from Summit with no changing of bore size to keep it easier and cheaper, but after that idk.

Although any other tips you can throw my way for rebuild and install would be greatly appreciated!

Reply #1
Wo
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #2
I have a stock Upper and Lower intake with TB along with an F150 Fuel rail with extensions to be able to plug directly into your TC fuel lines and 19lb injectors I also happen to have a repinned 88 tbird harness that would require very little wiring to use. Harness is actually set up for mass air.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #3
I'm not gonna disagree about mileage. But the car won't lose to much value because I changed the engine to something better (and i plan to keep this car in the family). The TC is great because of whats under the car not just the hood.
Also I do know that I could get a lot out of the 2.3 and turbo but the after market isn't to strong, and too expensive for me. Where the old Windsor has a great market with some pretty good deals. And sorry I keep rambling but my Dad bought the old engine and transmission to put in it so I plan to do the same. :)

Reply #4
What year of block did you put this on because from what I've read they switched the block or something in 86 that changes how stuff lines up i guess:/

Reply #5
Also have a set of stock tbird motor mounts and set of new Chucks mounts for sale.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #6
all my stuff  was off of an 86 block
87 TC

Reply #7
As far as I know a stock 302 windsor block is the same. there might be something different between castings when they went to a roller cam
87 TC

Reply #8
The only differences worth mentioning are the holes for the roller lifter spider. The external mounts and important holes, etc are all standard, whether it's from a 99, 89, or 84.

For that matter though, I'd find a roller block...having that option is a major must have for a lot of cam choices.

But the 2.3 in many cases can out perform a 5.0 with the benefits of good fuel mileage. Just saying.

Show me where a 2.3 can be made to have more power (we'll leave mileage alone..the 2.3 at best only gets 1-2 mpg more) than a 5.0 FOR LESS MONEY, and I'll leave this forum voluntarily.

The 2.3 is a good engine, but you can build a 5.0 to silly power (granted, it may blow up in a week) a hell of a lot cheaper than you can build a 2.3 to make that same power. Not everyone has the skills to weld several feet of i/c piping, either, let alone set up a large single or a twin system.

I'd rather have an LS engine than a 2.3....but I'd rather have an ecoboost than anything else.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
The 302 can create way more power than the 2.3 turbo. There is no better engine for fun than a v8 in my eyes.

Reply #10
^^^^^^^^ There you go, after owning a FULL dozen '87-'88 Turbo Coupes, my feelings exactly...

Above said, I'd never swap using a non roller or stock headed 5.0, at the least a GT40 head would be my choice and prefer something in aluminum...

A alum head and intake 5.0 with headers doesn't weigh but about 100Lb more than the all iron 4cyl and will make a easy 325-350Hp, try that with a 2.3T and keep it reliable...

There's a post on here by Dominator that covers most of the necessary changes, having done the swap myself I know it's mostly accurate and isn't for the swapper that can't read wiring diagrams(it's a real bitch to find as he contributed to a already active thread)...

Here's the thread I was talking about, luckily I had it book marked...

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?1218-turbocoupe-5.0-swap

I used a 5.0 Bird for all the small pieces that's necessary and converted it's SEFI harness to mass air before I swapped it into the TC...

Reply #11
Horsepower is cheaper with a 5.0 than a 2.3.  Just sayin.  But more than that, Horsepower is a calculated from Torque, and you'll never get more Torque with a 2.3 than a 5.0 on a similar budget. I think TC's and 2.3T's are cool, but it's easier to afford to make my 5.0 fast.

Reply #12
I know this guy makes 5.0 harnesses but they may be Mustang specific.  He does do custom jobs but I have no idea what he would charge.

http://www.thedetailzone.com/Ford%20Replacement%20Harnesses.htm

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #13
Okay so obviously I should change to a roller cam set, didn't know that earlier. But how could I do this the cheapest way? I have a limited budget but know I want to change the engine & transmission. I would love if people would help to suggest parts or places to buy! I'm don't want or have the budget for huge horsepower, 250ish will do but more is fine by me lol.
Thanks everyone who has commented so far much appercaited!

I read dominator's post so ill need to look into getting those parts.

Reply #14
And also if I say something wrong, please correct me!

Another thing... While I rebuild the v8 and all that, I plan to put in the new transmission in and get that figured out and turn up the turbo PSI until I got the v8 done.