Skip to main content
Topic: Shuddering engine...UPDATE July,1 (Read 13432 times) previous topic - next topic

Shuddering engine...UPDATE July,1

For the past two days, the Sport has a "shudder" when I accelerate. I can still get the car to speed, but it feels like there's a rapid miss (for lack of better terms).  Maybe the TFI module? Any ideas?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1
open the hood at night and see if there's any sparks shorting against metal.. from the spark plug wires, just a though. Always what I try first with a miss.

Reply #2
No sparks. Getting ready to step out and re-check the distributor cap and rotor. They are new (about 2 months old) MSD pieces, but I'll see what they look like.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
It giving any codes?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
Haven't checked codes, gotta get a battery for my checker. The cap and rotor are fine. I am going to swap the TFI module when the rain stops.

Reply #6
The plug wires are in great shape. I can hear the "shudder" at idle as well.

Reply #7
is it at all temps?

Reply #9
True.

Reply #10
Sounds like ignition. But also check the fuel pressure. Normally i stay away from aftermarket ignition stuff. Motorcraft all the way in my shop for the ford guys. Just saying. Also check the coil they do get weak from time to time. I had a customers Turbo coupe in the shop with a strange miss under boost. You got it the MSD coil was the issue!!!

Is your TFI remote mounted??? That does wonders and will let it live a bit longer. Also the tune is critical with TFI. If the tune is bad the TFI will  OUT pr0nTO!!!

:burnout:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #11
Every msd coil I have ran acrossed had issues.

The $20 autozone one I threw in my old 86 lasted over 100k miles without issue, but it was far from performance.

My buddies 89 2.3 stang had a bad miss and it was the msd coil, after we replaced the pip,tfi and a couple other things.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
Quote from: stangman_1987;392188
is it at all temps?

Yes, at idle and most notably at lower speeds. Once I'm up to speed, not so noticeable.

Quote from: TOM Renzo;392196
Sounds like ignition. But also check the fuel pressure. Normally i stay away from aftermarket ignition stuff. Motorcraft all the way in my shop for the ford guys. Just saying. Also check the coil they do get weak from time to time. I had a customers Turbo coupe in the shop with a strange miss under boost. You got it the MSD coil was the issue!!!

Is your TFI remote mounted??? That does wonders and will let it live a bit longer. Also the tune is critical with TFI. If the tune is bad the TFI will  OUT pr0nTO!!!

:burnout:

Tom, it's not remote mounted, it's on the distributor. I'm swapping the TFI later when the engine cools down. If that fixes it, GREAT !!! If not, it was under  warranty and still didn't cost anything, and, rules that out.

Quote from: Haystack;392199
Every msd coil I have ran acrossed had issues.

The $20 autozone one I threw in my old 86 lasted over 100k miles without issue, but it was far from performance.

My buddies 89 2.3 stang had a bad miss and it was the msd coil, after we replaced the pip,tfi and a couple other things.

It very well may be the coil. I hope not, but if it is, then the MSD will fit nicely into the garbage can. Like I stated above, I'll start with the module, then go from there. I don't have an extra coil. I had a couple and tossed them out a couple of months ago.

Reply #13
Run codes. See if its an intermittent pip signal, which will lead to the pip or tfi. Also run a cylinder ballance test to see if it could be a bad sark plug or injector. Quite a few things could cause it. Just run the codes withh a test light and a paper clip.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #14
I've never ran a test like that. details..............