Skip to main content
Topic: 88 5.0 runs like in cold (Read 1789 times) previous topic - next topic

88 5.0 runs like in cold

I had similiar problems last winter and seemed to go away during the summer, and now are back even worse. 
    I cant seem to control the idol of this car.  When I first start it up the motor runs real high for a bout 20sec, which I think is normal.  but then it drops to almost dying(maby150rpm), and jumps back up to about normal.  It continues on this sputtering cycle, and usually does die before long unless I get in and give it gas to keep it running.  Then when I put it in gear the motor growls at about 1200rpm and pulls me down the street, getting well into 3rd gear with out ever touching the pedal.
    Now I was told that changing my TPS would solve this problem, so I recently did and it seemed to run fine for a while, but it is definately back to .  The motor has also had a good tune up recently (plugs, wires, cap, and rotor)The only things I have seen effect this is when it is colder it gets worse, and when the motor has been running for a while it doesn't seem to do it.  Has any body delt with this before, or have any advise?

Thank you
Andy

Re: 88 5.0 runs like in cold

Reply #1
Maybe check the IAC...

Reply #2
Pssst...What is the IAC?

Reply #3
Engine rev oscillating and After you drove it, it keep running at +2000-2500rpm at park
Usually, what you describe is TPS Related...

But you say you replaced it.... Did you bought new or used?

IAC is the cylindrical part on your throttle body with a black connector.

Reply #4
I bought the TPS new.  but my car is not running at 2000-2500.  When it is cold it does not idol at a constant speed, and when in gear, it tends to pull me down the road. I will, however check for a vacspoogee leak.  That has never dawned on me.

Reply #5
There is definately no vacuum leaks. according to another topic someone has pasted it seems more like the IAC. I also read that this could simply be cleaned.  Would a cleaning be sufficient, or is it worth it just to replace it also.
Andy