Skip to main content
Topic: NEW 5.0L Explorer motor (Read 12025 times) previous topic - next topic

NEW 5.0L Explorer motor

Reply #45
Quote from: Gdub;375090
Ok Vinnietbird, thanks for the heads up. The plan is to have the engine compartment as slick as possible so I will be using custom made stainless hoses for the A/C and fuel and since I don't have any of the Fox stuff I will give it a try and see what happens. Do you know anyone that has used the Explorer accessories?

I am.

NEW 5.0L Explorer motor

Reply #46
If your using the explorer parts, the pulleys are closer then a fox setup. So you either need to change waterpump/timing chain cover and the crank pulley to fox, or run the differently spaced explorer stuff.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

NEW 5.0L Explorer motor

Reply #47
Quote from: flylear45;375196
I am.

Flylear, did you have any issues with the explorer stuff?

NEW 5.0L Explorer motor

Reply #48
Need to re-wire for starter

Steering pump is higher than reservoir. ( Mount new reservoir above pump center line)

Steering lines don't match up.  (Make new lines or splice hard line with 2,000 psi connector)

Alternator wired differently (same as 3g swap)

Won't clear TC scoop plastic.  (remove plastic)

Steel heater lines won't work. (need mustang or 5.0 bird ones)

AC lines will need to be custom made

That's off the top of my head. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

NEW 5.0L Explorer motor

Reply #49
Thanks FlyLear45, I will keep these things in mind. If you think of more let me know please.