Skip to main content
Topic: H.O. swap about to commence (Read 11704 times) previous topic - next topic

H.O. swap about to commence

Reply #30
I purchased a Chilton's 79'-93' Mustang manual to use for setting the timing and stuff.

Reply #31
I used my T5 bellhousing-to-engine bolts, they're longer than the aod's bolts...depends on how thick the arms on your engine stand are mostly. You may try using main bolts (obviously not ones you'd want to use in an engine again) but my engine stand wasn't thick enough, they had too much shank for me to use.

Lookin' like a good start! Keep the pics comin' in lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #32
To answer some questions. I don't know if the machine shop installed a double roller timing chain or not, but I'm thinking yes. I have brand new motor mounts if you look at one of the first pics that I posted you will see them in between the valve covers and the headers. We are going to try to push my a/c compressor and hoses over to the side so that we don't have to disconnect it. And we are going to be pulling the motor only, leaving transmission in.

Reply #33
Install them counter clockwise,or it'll be a no go. Ask me how I know.Years ago I did my first H.O conversion,and everything went perfect.Then,when it came time to start,It was .I had support from Turbocoupe50 (Tom),and he figured out my mistake.I wired everything opposite of how I first did it,started up and ran smooth and tight.Now I know.I had to learn like everyone else.Good luck.We're all here if you need us.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #34
Quote from: vinnietbird;338797
Install them counter clockwise

what on earth are you talking about? lol i hope you're talking about the plug wires or else i'm completely lost hahah

Reply #35
Quote from: Slinky;338781
I also talked my buddy into retiring the flip flops.

no more steel toe mandles? lol

Reply #36
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;338800
what on earth are you talking about? lol i hope you're talking about the plug wires or else i'm completely lost hahah

Right....plug wires.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #37
ok, good.. i'm a little less lost now :D lol

Reply #38
Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;338779
Sounds like you might like doing some stuff the hard way..... MAybe it's time to grab some??  :hick: Ratcheting  wrenches are the shiznit. I have a ton of them and use them almost more than a ratchet/socket set.

I am kind of cheap when it comes to tools. As long as they don't break, its what I use. I am not impressed with china ratcheting wrenches, especially for the price, and I will not pay $20 a wrench when a socket works just as good, if not better most of the time. I have a set of standard wrenches that have always gotten the job done when a socket wont.

To the OP, good luck with everything, and if you need any help or any questions, please come to us and ask. Nothing worse then a new motor that doesn't work. Take lots of pictures.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #39
Quote from: Haystack;338840
and I will not pay $20 a wrench

i didn't pay that much for mine and they're craftsmen

Reply #40
We got some more work done today!

Reply #41
I tried to tell my buddy not to wear those flip flops, then he stubbed his toe and bled out all over the place.

Reply #42
Some more pics.

Reply #43
Some pics of my new intake vs. my old one and my empty engine bay.

Reply #44
Just out of curiosity , why did you remove the engine with the converter attached ?
Fox-less at the moment