Skip to main content
Topic: H.O. swap about to commence (Read 11702 times) previous topic - next topic

H.O. swap about to commence

Reply #15
mandles!!! lol 4 hours and the upper is still on? holy jiminy crickets!

Reply #16
There will be cutting today. I had to go purchase some sawsall blades last night. I also bought some ratcheting wrenches that I think will really speed things up.

Reply #17
Spray everything down with penetrating oil a while before you start to work.Give the bolts a chance to soak a little up where they may be a little stuck or rusted. Watch where your fasteners go so you can re-install them if necessary. What are you cutting with a sawsall? I can only think exhaust.Are you keeping the a/c? if not,think twice before you get rid of those parts.I made the best decision ever for the Sport by re-installing it all. Good luck with the swap.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #18
I cut my motor mounts off both cars (so far), exhaust, hoses, lines. Buffalo isn't real user friendly for bolt removal. Just make sure you can replace whatever you cut....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #19
Quote from: daminc;338683
Just make sure you can replace whatever you cut....

100% true. Luckily around here,rusty bolts isn't an issue. But some parts are specific to our cars,like the motor mounts.If you kill them,make sure you can replace them.I have a set of the 5.0 mounts for our cars (ours are different than the Stang) with new cushions about to hit the classifieds soon. remember that as a "just in case". Also,make sure you have everything you need for the swap...fluids,exhaust parts,gaskets,computer to run it all,etc.Your new timing chain IS a double roller......right?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #20
Quote from: Slinky;338680
ratcheting wrenches

those things are like god's greatest gift to man, aside from the cars we use them on :D

Reply #21
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;338710
those things are like god's greatest gift to man, aside from the cars we use them on :D

I do not use them much. I do not own a set in any size.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #22
Don't forget the tunes and beverages...I prefer dr pepper, or tea when I'm tired of eating a sandwich every third can.

When I yanked mine, I'd already hauled out the aod and had a T5 in there, so when it came time for the SO to come out, they came together, in fact, just the first of the week, that's how I pulled the HO..with the T5 on still. Easier, but if you're staying auto, may be easier to leave it in.

Looks like you got a concrete floor to work on...lucky ass ;):bowdown::rollin:

You'll enjoy the HO stuff, and as Vinnie said, get a true double roller timing set, they cost more, but they're stronger, and last longer, and I'll also agree with his advice about the AC stuff. If mine wasn't the EATC setup, I would've left it in, but I was going to manual, and the engine I dropped in didn't have a compressor.

Oh, more pics or we'll all sneak in and hide your new wrenches lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #23
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;338755
Oh, more pics or we'll all sneak in and hide your new wrenches lol

hide? i was going to take them so i have a set for home and the shop :D

Reply #24
Quote from: Haystack;338741
I do not use them much. I do not own a set in any size.

Sounds like you might like doing some stuff the hard way..... MAybe it's time to grab some??  :hick: Ratcheting  wrenches are the shiznit. I have a ton of them and use them almost more than a ratchet/socket set.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #25
Alright guys we got a few things done today, but we were limited on time due to my little girl's birthday party. We have everything unhooked from the old engine and is ready to pull. We also went and picked up my new engine from the machine shop and went and borrowed a cherry picker from a friend.

Reply #26
We stopped and picked up a new water pump and an accessory for the cherry picker. We got part of the exhaust cut away because the nuts wouldn't break loose from the manifolds. I also talked my buddy into retiring the flip flops.

Reply #27
We got the engine stand put together and was going to unload the new engine onto the stand but.... we didn't have bolts long enough to run through the engine stand supports and into the engine. So we had to leave it hooked to the cherry picker. It will probably be Monday before we get anymore work done.

Reply #28
Great start.You should have it all done soon. Remember,the firing order is the 351W order,and,reverse rotation.

Reply #29
O.K. I knew about the different firing order but I didn't realize that it was in reverse rotation.