Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 tailpipes (Read 1062 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 tailpipes

Hi everyone!    i was wondering if these tailpipes would be a good fit on an 86 bird  my guess is they'll be a little short due to the T bird longer wheelbase over the mustang  but is there a way of fixing it  anyways i want the tailpipes to stick out just like 5.0 mustangs do are there pipes a good choice ou you guys recommmend another set

thanx alot everyone    here is the link  http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=LRS-5212PR%20%20%20%20%201&comp=LRS

5.0 tailpipes

Reply #1
Stang pipes are too short.I have a set on mine and had to have them lengthened a few inches.I don't remember how much,I think 8 or 10 inches.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

5.0 tailpipes

Reply #2
so what should i get? unless its not a prob to make them longer at the ler shop? modify the piece thats going over the axle  whats my best bet  if i want that 5.0 look

5.0 tailpipes

Reply #3
From the ler and over the axle, they're fine...they just come up short at the end...I'm assuming super long exhaust tips would work.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

5.0 tailpipes

Reply #4
I bought 2 1/2 inch mandrell bent pipes that were just straight cut on the end,no tips.I had mine lengthened,and added my tips.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

5.0 tailpipes

Reply #6
Stinger makes some that fit our cars, they cost a little more. here's a link page down to find them. I think They shipped to me for free.
http://www.stinger-performance.com/headerparts.html
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

5.0 tailpipes

Reply #7
I have the dynomax 2 1/4 tailpipes on mine w magnaflow 2 1/4-3 by 18inch tips to clear my rear bumper. You have to have a different set of hanger put on since the right wont have one or our cars =[  But they work. This is the second time i've used them

5.0 tailpipes

Reply #8
Quote from: DVP;269983
Bah, Tail pipes are over rated.

I agree 110%...however, around here you'll get pulled over if your car is loud and you don't have big shiny exhaust tips hangin' out.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

5.0 tailpipes

Reply #9
I have some aftermarket ones that would be easy to mod. They are either polished or plated stainless, slash cut 3-1/2 tips (long ones) that are attached to 2 1/2 tails with s. 110 shipped. my apologies for whoring parts out outside the classifieds....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~