Skip to main content
Topic: Running!!! - With Qwuirks... (Read 14805 times) previous topic - next topic

Running!!! - With Qwuirks...

Reply #30
hmm...

Well one of the attempts it sounded like it tried to crank for sec but then stopped.

Otherwise it's just been doing the same: where i can hear it initiate the fuel pump, The starter and or relay kicks and clicks and then nothing happens as the key is held in the start position, except the clock screen goes to blank... But the battery diagnostic light on the cluster stays lit until i release.

More recently its sounding like the fuel pump is pumping or trying to pump (doing something) when i hold the key in start position, Thats about it.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #31
Try checking all grounds and all electrical connections would be my guess. I duno what else it would really be.

Reply #32
have uninstalled and reinstalled the mini stater, you might have it in there too tight or forgot a ground on the starter itself
1987 Cougar XR7 5.0 SOLD
1992 Ranger 4.0
2018 Hyundai Elantra
2019 Ram Rebel

Reply #33
Progress!

I played with the batt and starter connnections, I think i had the starter cables backwards.
Now the starter isnt heating up, And she's trying to turn over!

Problem is she still can't...
She goes rurr and turns just a lil bit then stops and my battery seems to drain.

Also!
My constant on of the interior lights is fixed, Dunno what fixed it, heh.

I'm gonna go play with the grounds some more, And see if i can get her motor goin'. :D
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~

Reply #34
I may not have all your sumptoms exactly right, but this is starting to sound like my dad's camaro motor years ago.  He had removed the hood scoop to have it repainted, and had one of thoses stupid foam-top aircleaners.
Rained a little that night, and next day I told him to pull the plugs before he tried to crank it.
He didn't.
Called me and told me it tried to crank but then stopped after about one revolution. He replaced the battery, then replaced the starter, then had it towed to a garage. Motor would not turn over with a flywheel wrench. Turned out he had gotten a little rain in one cylinder and bent a connecting rod with the starter when he tried to crank it.
I don't know if there is any chance you have leaked coolant or even lots of condensation into a cylinder, but it's possible.
I would double check and make sure the motor will physically turn over before anything else. Then chase down any electrical or starter problems.

Reply #35
Sounds like you still have some sort of short/drain somewhere. It might be failing to turn over because the short drained the battery.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #36
Good news!
I thoroughly cleaned the batt contacts, Hooked up the charger box for some additional juice, And switched out the relay again for a newer one i picked up at the junkyard.
Looks like she is trying really hard to start now!
I've gotten up to 2 full slowww rotations before she stopped turning.

During this whole mess i wasn't paying attention to the gas meter, Which is on low, So i need to pick up some gas and see if she will growl for me!
And i'll continue to look for shorting and grounding problems.
If it's a bent rod... I'm gonna scream. :flame:

Thank you so much for all the advice, Tips, and help through this, It has helped a lot!

Reply #37
Give the battery a good, long charge and see where it takes you. One theory at a time

Reply #38
I let it charge for about 18-20 hours and it did a fairly peppy but still slow 3 rotations before it stopped.

I went and got 4 gallons of gas, And still no change.
I have a feeling theres something wrong with the fuel system now. >.<

After putting the gas in there was no change on the gas gauge, And after trying to start it a bunch of times, A blue'ish white smoke started coming from behind the drivers rear tire.

I can still hear the fuel pump initiating though, But i'm not getting and squirts out of the fuel injectors...

Reply #39
the motor turns over slow? sounds more like the timing is too far advanced, a bad battery, or a bad starter. putting more gas in the tank isnt going to make it spin over any faster.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #40
hrm,
Well the battery is new, Starter could be faulty... Dunno about the timing.

Isn't it supposed to squirt some fuel from the injectors when you try and crank the engine?
And what's with the smoke from the rear? Am i pushing the fuel pump too hard trying to get it to start?

My spark is fine, I checked my grounds again and they seem ok at the front, Engine moves freely, Rremoved valve covers and inspected and everything looks fine in there.

Reply #41
Alittle. Try with starting fluid but keep back. I'd bet timing. This is starting to sound like my car.... and I came to it was the timing chain. Don't mean to puch the " oh shiznit" button, but maybe.

Reply #42
Wait smoke from the exhaust or smoke from the tank? If it's smoke from the tank fix it now before it ignites the gas vapors in the tank!!
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #43
Somke from the ass... if it's black, means too much fuel

Reply #44
It was very light smoke, I could only really see it in the sunlight shining on it which made it looks blue'ish white.
And i'm not sure exactly where it's coming from, It's coming from then drivers rear wheel well area, I do have some exhaust leaks though.

It would only do it when i tryed to start it too hard or too long.
I've got a fire extinguisher out here just in case.

So it should be squirting from the fuel injectors when i turn the key? It's not... I did put a few drops of fuel in manually to see if it would do anything, it didn't.