Skip to main content
Topic: Running!!! - With Qwuirks... (Read 14803 times) previous topic - next topic

Running!!! - With Qwuirks...

Reply #15
whats the point of a mini starter anyway,,, doesnt that just put another critical elecrical part down under the car that use to be on the fender well?

Reply #16
Why. I still have a soloniod o my fender, just more of a wire holder now. I don't see a problem with it, and I will swear by mine

Reply #17
Quote from: 84 Fila;162313
Why. I still have a soloniod o my fender, just more of a wire holder now. I don't see a problem with it, and I will swear by mine

wire holder,,,,,,,,
is your solenoid on your fender well functional and required for you to be able to start your engine?

Reply #18
Just got back from the junkyard, Started raining again. :punchballs:

Anyway,
Both MN12 T-Birds had the engine and Tranny missing, As did the 87 XR7 i got my seats from.
And i wasnt even gonna bother with the heritage starter, As the car was in the middle of 3 inches of water this time...

They did get in a '93 XR7 though, Had the mini starter but it looked original and really worn, The car had 220k miles on it.
I did come home with the entire extra cable assembly that goes to the relay though. :hick:

I'll check back next week or something for a starter, sigh.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #19
Ugh,
I had to go back today and look for my crescent wrench i apparently left...
No sign of it already, And at the register a guy said someone stole his whole tool bag!

Anyway,
I looked at EVERY ford they had for a compatible mini-starter, And any that would have worked were already gone or the old style.

So i ended up buying the 1 i found yesterday off the 93 XR7, That i was leary about since it had such high mileage.
I'll be taking it over to autozone to have it tested out soon, I think they are closed tonight. :punchballs:
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~

Reply #20
Got it tested!
First round it made a large spark and scared the younger employee running the test, But the screen said it passed.

So he grounded it better and ran it again, He said it sounded a little grindy but it will start a car (Passed second time also).

Now if the rain ever goes away, I need to get to the hard part... Removal and Install on my car. :punchballs:

Reply #21
*Sigh*

Well the rain cleared up today, So i went out and played with the starter.

Wasn't as hard to get out as was being said. :hick:
Just the upper bolt was very awkward to reach, I managed it by taking the drivers front wheel off, And noodling my arms through with a rachet.

While the starter was hanging under the car i grounded it and hit the ignition, It spun up no problem...

I went ahead and continued to install the "new" mini starter anyway.

Only to find that i think i have bigger problems...
The engine won't turn...

Starter works fine, Mini better than the old, But still cant turn the engine.

I'm kind of worried now...
Dad says to remove the plugs to release compression, And then turn the engine by hand, I'll try that tomorrow.

Any other suggestions in the meantime?

Reply #22
dads suggestion sounds logical,,,, although you wont have compression on every piston,, just a couple at any given moment.

would you happen to "not" have the metal covers on the lower part of the bell housing?  something might be up in there binding the flywheel.

might as well remove the valve covers and see if a pushrod is lying off to the side.  check for broken valve spring (s) also.

if its a transmission issue , you really cant tell until its separated from the engine then retest to see if the motor spins,,,,highly unlikely but possible the torque converter is jacked up or something trans related.

if you turn the crank and the whole car moves,, something in the trans is hosed.  most likely you will find collapsed lifters or something valve train related.  If your lucky and it turns after you remove the plugs,,, and find nothing wrong,,, write it off as "FM",,,,,,,,,,,"f'ing magic"

Reply #23
If it cranks with the plugs out, see if any liquid blows out of any of the plug holes. you may have coolent filling one of the cylinders and hydraulically locking the engine.

Reply #24
This could be easier then you think. When you turn the key forward it doesn't turn over right. You have to alter alittle wiring but it's not hard

Reply #25
Thanks for the suggestions, Ill go test them out!

What kind of wiring fila? I've done the wiring conversion for the mini starter already if thats what you mean.

When i turn the key now it activates the starter and relay, fuel pump and such.
But when i hold it trying to start it doesnt do anything else but drain the power (Interior lights and clock start to dim), And if i hold too long it starts smoking from the batt terminals.

Reply #26
Quote from: Romeo2k;163383
Thanks for the suggestions, Ill go test them out!

What kind of wiring fila? I've done the wiring conversion for the mini starter already if thats what you mean.

When i turn the key now it activates the starter and relay, fuel pump and such.
But when i hold it trying to start it doesnt do anything else but drain the power (Interior lights and clock start to dim), And if i hold too long it starts smoking from the batt terminals.

you have a short somewhere, or the positive side on the starter is grounding out on something.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #27
Hmm...
I'll look into that too, Thanks.

The battery doesnt fully drain, the lights just increasingly dim as you hold the key in the start position until it starts smoking (only did it till it smoked once, Looked like it was the positive cable that was smoking).

I think i do have a ground problem somewhere though, As my overhead/dome light and floor lights are at a constant on.
I do have quite a bit of things apart in the interior and such, But nothing that should be causing the lights to stay on as far as i know.

Reply #28
well i removed one plug, and manually cranked the engine, It moves freely.

i have a feeling something electricaly bad is going on, I have one of those auto charging boxes hooked up to the battery, And today it's pegging the max 15 amp mark and making ticking noises in the charger.

And also, I just touched the starter, And it's BURNING hot...

Reply #29
Same thing mine did. I replaced the starter with another mini for me and it stopped the hot starter and wire thing. Not saying thats the problem but it helped mine. As for not starting I duno. It it turning over and trying to fire at all?