Skip to main content
Topic: 351w timing cover (Read 970 times) previous topic - next topic

351w timing cover

Does any one know if a 302 (87-93) timing cover will work on a 95 F150 351W? My father in law has an anti-freeze leak and was told it is most likely the gasket but could be the timing cover. Ford told him $180 to replace the gaskets but $700 if the timing cover needs replaced. I'm trying to save him some money if possible.
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
04 F150 FX4 Supercrew 5.4L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer

351w timing cover

Reply #2
They are the same.Any dealer who is going to charge me $700.00 to swap the covers aren't getting ANY of my business.Period.Grab one at a boneyard if you need one.It's probably fine.Go to a car wash and clean the engine really good and then see where the leak is coming from.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

351w timing cover

Reply #3
with the material cost and shop labor,, that sounds about right. 

Why would you say 700 is too high,, based on what information?

for 700, you'll probably get a.

Timing Cover
water pump
coolant change / flush
belts
new gaskets
labor
dospoogeentation showing who did the work.

351w timing cover

Reply #4
I suppose I'm cheap that way (I'm a do it yourself kind of guy).For $700.00,I can buy a cover,water pump,belt,gaskets,flush kit,fluids,a $500.00 parts car,and still have enough for lunch at Burger King.If I don't want a parts car,how about a new intake and throttlebody,or a set of headers and exhaust,or a nice used set of Cobra R wheels,etc.,seats,etc.,etc.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

351w timing cover

Reply #5
I have a timing cover here from my other 302. My father in law already gave Ford the go ahead. I'm going to give him my timing cover to save him a few dollars. I told him to get the old timing cover if it is bad.
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
04 F150 FX4 Supercrew 5.4L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer

351w timing cover

Reply #6
I dont think there identical i.e truck and cars are different but they timing cover to block mating surface is identical.  I think the water pumps and a few bolt holes for brackets are different.  I know when we fox guys use a 351 the numero uno thing to do is swap your timing cover on.
One 88

351w timing cover

Reply #7
I took the t/c cover off of my 5.0 ad instslled it on my 351W. Just checka nd make sure they both have reverse rotation water pumps.

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout: