Skip to main content
Topic: My H.O. conversion has FINISHED. she RUNS. yep. (Read 5500 times) previous topic - next topic

My H.O. conversion has FINISHED. she RUNS. yep.

Reply #30
I've got all the parts for my HO conversion except for the timing chain and gaskets.  I even have a set of 3.27 gears for the rear end.  But I got all the parts off of ebay for ~$200, with the heads using the bulk of it (cause of shipping, but still good price in the end).  So what exactly is this shift kit everyone recommends?  I have the AOD floor shift.

Reply #31
shift kits modify your tranny's shift patterns so the bands and clutches bite down harder and quicker, so your shifts firm up and wear down the material on them less. they also change shifts points to more optimal RPMs
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #32
just a word of advise and trying to save you some money. wait till you get this bad boy runnig and driving again. see how your AOD likes this "new" power thrown at it. if it's fine. no slipage weird shifts. or just weird. then i would say save for the converter and shift kit. if it starts messing up even a littlle. just save for a good rebuilt AOD. performance automattic make a really good street trans and hold up to 350 hp for the aod. and plenty for a mild street car and they do all the hard work of a shift kit for you.

good luck and enjoy
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Reply #33
Hey Zonda,thanks for the a/c tip.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

PICSPICSPICS of her nearly finished

Reply #34
vinnie--

no problem, enjoy!

Coupe88--

il certainly consider that, again id love to have those things so that plays a part too.

okay guys check out The Stupidest Mod Ever Witnessed By Man® !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as well as my lengthening of the O2 sensor wires, very proud of my soldering job and wrapping the wires in electrical tape. didnt have enough heat-shrink :hick:

next my summit h-pipe (WOW it seems really strong and well put together, and those mandrel bends look SO much nicer!) and 8 yr old 2-chamber flowmasters, with flowtubes bought for $60 total, and i didnt have to modify em at all! shockingly, the flowtubes were plenty long enough

and then the near-finished engine bay.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #35
the bay, and then a pic i took this morning, figured id post it all finished too! anyone who read my other thread about the computer will know that i am *officially* finished, but im waiting on a computer from NAPA, after the one from Advance Auto Hole not working. (ive always wanted to post "Autohole" like everyone else but I dont go there so thatll have to do!!!! :rollin:

problem is, im to wait until Weds. night 8:15. :disappoin  so hold on guys, i gotta too! the suspense will kill me i swear. hopefully ill get a video or a soundbite up on putfile or something for yall!

Reply #36
good job man you got it all back together b4 ur deadline. im sure youl be happy when you hear it run again. but maybe you should have painter that upper intake bc it's rough looking. but looks dont matter as much as getting it to run. but you could try some fine steel wool ive found that helps clean the intake alot. (it did on mine anyway)
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Reply #37
yeah thats how it came from the guy i bought it from...wasnt too happy with the looks either. steel wool wont hurt it/scratch the paint off? cuz ill definitely do that sometime, id like it to be all nice and shiny like other's UI's.

but yeah more important is that it works! and i want every HP i can get, so i didnt really want to keep the old UI even though it looked great. and i took out the air filter baffle/silencer/whatever out of the fender well too.:giggle:

Gotta disagree on that............

Reply #38
PAUL, what I was talkin' about was the keyways in the crank sprocket...retard the crank/advance the crank...retard crank = advance to cam and visa versa...so to advance this sprocket = retarded timing = all upper end. Sorry I didn't clarify.And YES if you advance the timing via retarding the crank the gains are in the lower R's.

Reply #39
you have to use the fine steel wool you wont go threw the powder coat with fine.  you have to really go at it to mess that up . some simple green or simalr cleaner maybe even some kitchen  tilex stuff. i donno try the wool first

hey i just noticed you didnt get the mustang valve covers . way beter than the stock cougars. oh well small details that again mean nothing in hp. so you gotta do what you got to do

Reply #40
Quote from: JAMEZILLA;122433
PAUL, what I was talkin' about was the keyways in the crank sprocket...retard the crank/advance the crank...retard crank = advance to cam and visa versa...so to advance this sprocket = retarded timing = all upper end. Sorry I didn't clarify.And YES if you advance the timing via retarding the crank the gains are in the lower R's.

WHOA haha totally outta left field! i actually do not have more than one key way in my crank nor my crank sprocket. so i put it on and just did "dot-to-dot" obviously but there were no other positions for me to use. im just fine with stock anyway--i prolly mess around with ignition timing, hell i wouldnt mind throwing 93 octane in this thing! :cool: i dont drive the bloody thing enough to have to worry about gas mileage. i want every pony i can get as i said.

does anyone know *approximately i dont expect perfect figures* how much hp/tq i might gain from advancing the timing a couple degrees (isnt that about how much you can and then even on 93 if you go anymore it will ping right?)

Coupe--

okay ill try that sometime!

never even thought of getting mustang valve covers. sounds like a good idea though! i could snag a pair sometime.

Reply #41
The valve covers are on E-bay all the time for $10 or $15.I have a second set coming ($15.00 shipped) that I'm going to polish and install.I still have to polish the Mustang upper like I did with my Explorer intake.After I polished it,it doesn't look "Explorer" anymore,it just looks aftermarket.Sweet.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #42
UH-OH!!!! you're bragging about something you did that *cough*probably LOOKS COOL*cough*

i dont even think i need to say it, you know what you gotta do...

Only runs if i spray stuff in the intake.....

Reply #43
yep. oh and it turns out i WAS, way back when i first assembled the thing, "on time"!!!! i forgot the fact that i cant see the valves and assumed hastily that i was at TDC on piston 1 and so the rotor being 180deg off "oh it must be wrong!!" so i set that back, spray in some carb cleaner, starts right up, sounds great for a split second then dies.

it seems like the injectors arent firing. small screwdriver and a catch cup combined with the schrader valve confirms pressure in the lines. i clicked the pump probably 10 times so it better be!

any ideas? the computer from NAPA only has the code on the port, and its a speed-dens. code alright. a "DA1" unit, and unfortunately A1B though at the end of the long code, so looks like i got an auto tranny one but thats fine too.

should i pull codes? can i rent a "code-puller" i know some people here have used a voltmeter? tutorial? or a linky if thats a lot easier and its been covered before?

thanks guys for your support so far. shes almost there! sure were some great second-long-intervals when she ran on the carb cleaner. sounded good too, not stumbly, car didnt shake or anything.

EDIT---jeez i dunno why i didnt search first. guys, please do post your suggestions if they differ from the following: i searched "injectors" and found a thread, same problem as mine, and saw "check your TPS, can send it in to dechoke mode and shut off injectors" and "check voltage at injectors, should be this blah blah....."

so ill try that stuff tomorrow. no idea of the condition of the TPS, got it from a guy on the corral, he said the car ran. we'll see whats up.

Reply #44
I wish you luck on the problem you're having.How's the fuel pressure regulator?Just a thought.I hope to get the H.O conversion started very soon (weather permitting).It'll probably be a couple of months to be realistic.No big deal,I still have #1 to drive.I sat at the dining room table and installed new o-rings,caps,and screens in my 19# injectors for the project car.One step closer I suppose.I'll just spend the winter days looking for parts and waiting.Again,good luck.