Skip to main content
Topic: '87 T-Bird offset trans tunnel? (Read 2419 times) previous topic - next topic

'87 T-Bird offset trans tunnel?

I'm putting a 460 in my Bird and putting a back half frame section in it for Pro Street. Does anyone know how far the engine centerline is offset? I'm told it is offset to the right, but no one seems to know how much.
Any help from anyone on this swap will be helpful.

This is my first posting. Thank you all very much.

'87 back-half bird

Reply #1
I have NO idea,BUT,I'm interested in seeing pics of this project as it progresses.Cool.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
It is offset to the right not by a whole lot though, Either way the back half needs to go in square and not be offset.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #3
I put a 460 in my 87 TC using a front motor plate to hold the engine in place while fabbed up the pedestal mounts. I will try and get you the Centerline of crank to left side frame rail as well as the C/L of crank to right side f/r.  I remember my engine plate being dead-on perfect when I fitted it and made the C/L of the trans output shaft exactly square in the trans tunnel in relation to the square of the engine in the engine compartment. Most important to remember is that C/L of the engine/trans combo must be parallel with the C/L of the pinion gear. Hope this helps and that I didn't confuse you.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #4
Thanks guys. I'm also using a motor plate, which puts the crank centerline in the stock(offset) position. So the rear end housing should be offset so the pinion is directly behind the engine/trans C/L? I wonder if the offset is an inch or two, if that's too much. My problem is that I already have a housing with the pinion xcentered in the rear frame rails. Thanks for all your help and I'll keep checking... 
Sincerely,
87 back-half bird

Reply #5
Everything I have read about engine placement says that the most important thing to remember is that the C/L of both the engine/trans combo and the rear end should be parallel to each other. They could be offset to the left or right of each other, but one cannot be "crooked" in relation to the other. If the engine is crooked or the rear is crooked, the driveshaft will spit out u-joints.  Also, do not forget about pinion angle.
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
95 Mustang GT auto

Reply #6
If I understand you correctly. the engine, trans, rear end combo needs to be perfectly square in the car, but the drive shaft could be L or R a little? Any suggestion on pinion angle?

Reply #7
83-88 T-bird guy, how quick is your car with the 460? What trans did you use? Thanks.

Reply #8
Yes, the c/l of both engine and rear must be parallel but not necessarily in line with each other.  I set my pinion angle at 2 degrees down but then I am using a stock style suspension with southside bars. Since you are going (ladder bars?, 4 link?), that is an area I do not have any experience at. But I do know you need at least 1 to 2 deg. down (in relation to the angle of the transmission output shaft) so that when you launch the car, your driveshaft should be parallel with the angle of the trans. If the pinion drives up too far,(upon launch) it will unload the rear end and you will spin the tires. After I learned about pinion angle issues, my car was much more consistant on my 60ft times. Hope this helps. Oh, by the way, I am using a C-6. Alan
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
95 Mustang GT auto

Reply #9
It will be a 4-link suspension. Thanks for the great info. I REALLY appreciate your help!

Reply #10
No problem.  I just bought a 77 mustang drag car over the weekend and it looks like I will have to start studying my race car chassis manual because it too has a 4 link.
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
95 Mustang GT auto