Skip to main content
Topic: Project Thunderstorm (Read 9282 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #45
And thanks again!
So there is no issue using the same seals for both intake and exhaust eh?

This is what came in my FelPro Gasket set:

I've actually been looking for another 6 of these with no real success besides "Sealed Power" Brand. Odd.:

There is also this option on ebay, Dunno what brand these are though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-3-8L-V6-84-95-VITON-VALVE-SEALS-set-of-12-new-Thunderbird-Mustang-/120964182130?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2a06f072&vxp=mtr
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #46
No go on the Heads, Right now at least.
If any of you have a lead a nice set shoot me a message.

This is the '84 they had~Turned out to be a v8:

Nice to see parts being used.

They were also doing burnouts in a 78 Ranchero GT, Guy said it just came in from a dealer and is going out for sale soon "Probably $1700" "Thing is tough, I was barely on it".
It was all there besides some a/c and emissions stuff messed with, Looked painted which is probably hiding stuff. Also had a duct tape bench seat, And underside rust looked like it could be problematic.
I actually found the previous owners listing for it:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&listingId=106089898&aff=oodle
I wanted/want it but don't have the funds, Could make space but would get shut down by the property owners. Heh.

They also have a Factory Purple '97 6-Banger for sale with yanked out door lock and leaking engine seals.

Back to Project ThunderStorm!
I need Heads! 83-87 Only.
My local yards dont have any at the moment. Bad timing to say the least.
Someone has to have a lead or even a set laying around that will machine up nice.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #47
Well todays PicknPull trip was full of fail.

For starters the Silver T-Bird (Above) got crushed already, This seems to keep happening every time I need a part...
An obscure JY Item was gone (Vintage Plate Sets). Questioned it, And lost the oppurtunity.
No one has bought the Ranchero yet, And I fear it will meet the crusher with how they are handling things lately.
Weird peoples trying to knock over cars (I'm trying to get a part off of) to get a to underside parts...

Worst of all, This:

AND $69.19 after fees, Was the cost for '94 SN95 of Spindles and Hubs.

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #48
Quote from: Shadow;376667
the 80's called, they want their rear window louvers back lol

Mine came with louvers... People seem to love them. Me, not so much.
88 5.0 LX  66,000 original miles
92 5.0 LX Mustang convertible 82,000 original miles

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #49
Quick Update:
No progression sadly, I'm having a heck of a time finding a pair of Heads which was very unexpected.
Fogging/Oiling up every Monday.

I'm also dealing with "Benzo" Medication Withdrawls after only missing a few doses and then staying off it. I could be tweaked for awhile from what I've been reading... Cold Turkey now for about 6 days and rapidly progressing through the hellish list of symptoms as I refuse to go back on this , And shouldnt have even been put on it. Bringing Me down hardcore... Sigh.

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #50
Things are looking up!
I made a 50mile round trip just to visit this Rare Sight today:
http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/1FABP46W7GH162961
Left it like this:

Just over $100 (To my surprise, Guy got lazy ringing stuff up) got Me this:

Hard to see everything, But I got: Nice Tail Lenses, Trunk Lid Liner, ALL side body moulding, TC Bumper Cover, Skinny Black Console Lid, TC Horn Button, Auto Dim Rear View Mirror, TC Pillar Trim, Painted Grille, Fog Light Brackets, Shifter Nob, TC Coolant Jug + Brackets, Etc.

And...
I'll hopefully get my Heads from this one, Pending it isn't already crushed like they always do to me at this yard:
http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/1FABP4636FH221101

Oh, And I apparently went through the standard cold turkey Benzodiazpine withdrawals crazy fast, But seem to be having some "Protracted Withdrawals" from chemical changes in the brain??? 3 weeks later which is not a fun experience and infuriates Me even more about the whole situation.
But at least I'm working back to getting the T-Bird put back together again.

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #51
PnP Sale, Heads up!
And of course after I make a big junkyard trip they reveal an upcoming sale... Heh~
Free Admission and 15% off entire purchase (Which basically covers "environmental" and state taxes over here) from the 18th through 21st at Pick-N-Pull locations.

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #52
Are you freaking kidding me...
I went for the heads, And YET AGAIN the car is already crushed. Seriously?!

They do have a Supercharged Thunderbird, Anyone know if theres anything I should grab off it? (Supercharger gone). I assume the heads wouldnt do me any good...

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #53
I just read your whole thread AND your thread in the parts wanted section, and I'd like to point out that if had you gone with the 351 you'd be driving it by now.  Perfect heads for a carb or CFI 3.8 is a pipedream.  Not too late to get on the right track though.

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #54
FINALLY!!!

E3SE's
Yes the exhaust valves are burnt, Likely need to replace them~Already have spares.
Gasket surfaces and openings look fantastic. Next month the local machine shop will get them ready to bolt on.
*Side note: LTD I got them off of will be crushed tomorrow... I got there "early" this time! LoL.

I do agree with all the trouble this caused, I might have been better off dealing with the 351...
Oh well. I want to take some time and enjoy building up the 351 though, And not throw it together and rush it in. I've never actually done an engine swap either, So probably would have taken just as long and I need Her running soon. I'll throw the goodies at Her when she is actually proven roadworthy.

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #55
I would've c00ched up the SC 3.8 long block. It has a stronger block. At one time I had thought about doing a SC 3.8 stroked to 4.2 ,SC'd, w/ 5spd in my bird.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #56
That SC looked like a PITA to work on, Crammed in there.

I'm seeing a straight engine swap would really have likely been the best bet at this point... But Now, I'm just too far into the rebuild to turn back. Just need the car running again and then I'll keep moving forward with it.

Been playing around in the engine bay, Cleaning and Clearing up the pass side to work on and yanked out the Smog and EGR?  that really hinders even changing the spark plugs over there.
I found JCassitys older post on removing the smog, So I'll use that as a guide, And research some more on it and hopefully get it done right.

I know it's asking for way too much from the puny v6, But any suggestions as to "Mods or deboggers" or just removing anything unnecessary while the top end is apart?
Add Underdrive pulleys maybe? And how would that affect smog removal...

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #57
Yours is TBI, correct? Does it still have the crossover heating tubes in the intake plenum?
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #58
CFI/TBI. And I think thats adressed below?\/

This is what I'm using as a base guide:
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?1022-Smog-pump-delete-on-CFI-3.8

And I'll be ordering one of these as it seems to be a really good deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120676347701?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #59
That thread had no mention of the coolant crossover tubes in the intake that I could see. It would be fairly difficult to remove them, as you would have to take the intake off and block coolant flow through it, then make sure that wouldn't cause an overheat issue by checking the flow diagram. If you can find one. but it is certainly an obstruction in the intake. You should see them clearly if you remove the throttle body. They will be covered in black soot from the EGR.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...