Skip to main content
Topic: Project Thunderstorm (Read 9280 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Thunderstorm

Well, She's been sitting too long, To the point that I'm even Embarrassed to say how long.
This HAS to be the year I get down and dirty, And put my baby on the Road.

As you may or May not know, She ain't all that pretty right now, Prior owner abused her (Inside and outside big time, I did not make those stupid primer squares) & She has V6 (Half apart)... But she was free, Is rust free, My first car and I love her and that's all that matters. :mad:

First priority is to get her Running Good, Registered and Tabbed.
Then: Body Work, LOTS of upgrades + Blood, Sweat and Tears (LoL) will follow.

Project Thunderstorm Strikes... Soon~More towards Summer likely, I don't have the luxury of indoor garages or good weather *sigh*.
Just wanted to get the build thread up. :hick:

~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #1
Have fun and don't shed too many tears and not too much blood!! lol

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #2
the 80's called, they want their rear window louvers back lol what are your plans motor wise? sticking with the V6? looks like a solid start from what little i can see
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #3
Good luck with the resto. Post some more pics when you get it out. Be nice to have the before pics of the body and interior.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #4
i want louvers so bad for my 87!
Brian J Larkin
1988 Tbird Turbo Coupe
1989 Cougar XR7
1995  Ranger Splash

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #5
Quote from: bjl;376783
i want louvers so bad for my 87!

x2!!!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #6
In 1978 I had a model of an AMC Pacer X that had louvers.  Too cool.

Edit: Ha! I can't believe I found a picture of it.

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #7
Quote from: xjeffs;376958
In 1978 I had a model of an AMC Pacer X that had louvers.  Too cool.

Edit: Ha! I can't believe I found a picture of it.

meeeeemories :rollin:

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #8
Quote from: 1BadBird;376659
Have fun and don't shed too many tears and not too much blood!! lol

I sure hope not!

Quote from: bryan163;376686
Good luck with the resto. Post some more pics when you get it out. Be nice to have the before pics of the body and interior.

Will do,
Be warned~I started tear down already awhile back, So the interior is not much to look at right now, Then again... It wasnt much to look at to begin with~As  I said, Was not well cared for.
Though I have since acquired an all "New" Interior from local junkyards and such that will be going in~All the way down to the carpeting.

Quote from: Shadow;376667
the 80's called, they want their rear window louvers back lol what are your plans motor wise? sticking with the V6? looks like a solid start from what little i can see

:beatyoass:
V6 will be put back together and run for awhile while I'm getting her in presentable shape, The I'll be looking to do a 351w swap in the future.
I acquired this running non-roller 351 for a s trade:

It will likely get built and go in someday unless something else comes up.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #9
Right now I'm looking into some shop tools I would like to have (And make things easier) that are within my budget, As well as some important parts I'll be needing before I get started.

I've got a few random small dents, Nothing major except the drivers door skin is sort of curved inward toward the bottom.
However there is some pretty bad damage right above the pass rear wheel well (Worst on the car, Besides the busted up  header when i got it).
I'll try and get a pic up of it, It's very odd... And has the shiznittiest repair job ever.

Anyway,
After researching some low cost, But still quality repair ideas~I've been thinking about using a Stud Welder Gun.
I found this one by far to be the best price:
http://www.harborfreight.com/stud-welder-dent-repair-kit-98357.html

Anyone used this before? Thoughts?

*Pic update:

Ugh, Looks Worse than I was thinking...
Rust is surface, But I'm going to have do tons of reshaping.
Wondering what kind of hit made it crease like that... I remember measuring awhile back to check if the frame was bent and it was fine.

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #10
Quote from: Romeo2k;377060
Anyway,
After researching some low cost, But still quality repair ideas~I've been thinking about using a Stud Welder Gun.
I found this one by far to be the best price:
http://www.harborfreight.com/stud-welder-dent-repair-kit-98357.html

Anyone used this before? Thoughts?

yes, and i LOVE it.. so far, it's outlasted my dad's matco stud gun 2 times over

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #11
If you get that stud gun, buy another slide hammer. The one that comes with it, will only grab about 5 studs, then strip....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #12
mine's still going strong.. maybe you had a faulty 1? or maybe i have 1 of the few good 1's.. lol

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #13
I loooove your project name lol

Keeping my eye on this one. Haven't been following an 83/84  project I don't think since Watchdevil left
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Project Thunderstorm

Reply #14
Thanks guys.
I'll go ahead and add that Stud Welder to my buy list, Looks like its a hard to get item though since it's back ordered online and such.

Has anyone got any DIY experience with valve guide installs?
I've got a chipped guide in the head that's off the car.
I have found what looks to be a good method of removing online (Tap, insert bolt, insert dowel from backside and hammer tap out), But want to be safe installing since this is an aluminum head. I do not have a press.