Skip to main content
Topic: Saudi Arabia tells OPEC to cram it! (Read 2801 times) previous topic - next topic

Saudi Arabia tells OPEC to cram it!

I wonder what their motivating factor is......

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/09/11/the-death-of-opec.aspx

Saudi Arabia walked out on OPEC yesterday, saying it would not honor the cartel's production cut. It was tired of rants from Hugo Chavez of Venezuela and the well-dressed oil minister from Iran.

As the world's largest crude exporter, the kingdom in the desert took its ball and went home.

As the Saudis left the building, the message was shockingly clear. “Saudi Arabia will meet the market’s demand,” a senior OPEC delegate told the New York Times. “We will see what the market requires and we will not leave a customer without oil."

OPEC will still have lavish meetings and a nifty headquarters in Vienna, Austria, but the Saudis have made certain the the organization has lost its teeth. Even though the cartel argued that the sudden drop in crude was due to "oversupply", OPEC's most powerful member knows that the drop may only be temporary. Cold weather later this year could put pressure on prices. So could a decision by Russia that it wants to "punish" the US and EU for a time. That political battle is only at its beginning.

The downward pressure on oil got a second hand. Brazil has confirmed another huge oil deposit to add to one it discovered off-s earlier this year. The first field uncovered by Petrobras has the promise of being one of the largest in the world. The breadth of that deposit has now expanded.

OPEC needs the Saudis to have any credibility in terms of pricing, supply, and the ongoing success of its bully pulpit. By failing to keep its most critical member, it forfeits its leverage.

OPEC has made no announcement about any possibility of dissolving, but the process is already over.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1
I heard that the Saudis were worried that high prices driven by limiting supply would cause the world economy to crater and take out oil demand with it. I think they are right - we're on the edge of a precipice economically. My company's stock was driven down recently due to fears of worldwide recession (we had been somewhat insulated previously due to our high volume of sales outside the US.)
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #2
On a side note:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/09/10/russia.venezuela/index.html

The way things are going; the draft coming back is within the realm of possibility.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
Ok, I know I am not feeling well right now so maybe I'm not understanding this completely because of that.

Does this mean Saudi Arabia wants the gas prices to be lower so they walked out of OPEC in order to provide the lower prices?
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #4
They were afraid higher oil prices would cause a worldwide recession, thus they would sell even less oil!
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.