Skip to main content
Topic: "The good far outweighs the bad": 1988 XR-7 couldn't pass it up... (Read 3586 times) previous topic - next topic

"The good far outweighs the bad": 1988 XR-7 couldn't pass it up...

Reply #15
Such a nice kitty,enjoy, looks good.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #16
Thanks for all the compliments...I wanted a black 88 XR7 since I first saw a picture of one...I will probably get a set of turbines, paint 'em to match, and get white letter tires to finish off the look. Such badass cars. The silver one WAS black...why the guy chose to do what he did is unimaginable. Would have had to do the jambs and everything to change it. Then the quarter got messed up. I'm thinking eff this, not happening anymore. Not for a long time. So this makes it a little easier to achieve LOL.

Like the Indiana Jones quote, overuse that myself and  proud of it haha. And Lou, this probably won't even get registered until next spring. The silver one is the only one on the road at this point. But once they ALL are...I'll find time. Somehow.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #17
why paint a black car silver? i'll tell you why lol.. i'm tired of owning black cars/trucks so i'm painting everything i own blue or silver (or a 2 tone of both) next summer lol i've owned entirely too many black vehicles over the past 10 years, you just get tired of the same old  after a while
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #18
Nice car. Well worth the investment.

Reply #19
wow thats a steal.. looks like a $6000-$6500 car to the right person.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #20
Quote from: ZondaC12;370666

Like the Indiana Jones quote, overuse that myself and  proud of it haha. And Lou, this probably won't even get registered until next spring. The silver one is the only one on the road at this point. But once they ALL are...I'll find time. Somehow.

I kind of have time to drive the T-bird it's just that it only comes out when there is no chance of rain. It's a royal PITA to clean the thing after a rain storm. It got rained on once this year in early April when I took it to get the subframes welded in. I then spent 4 hours cleaning the underside to get rid of the water spots. I have problems.

I'd love to pick up another 5.0 T-bird to drive around in the summer, rain or shine. I wouldn't subject it to winter driving since I'd want it to last. That's what the Focus is for. The problem is finding one that's not rusted to hell locally, which you seem to be able to do.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #21
Congratulation...  !!!cougar shadow!!!

Reply #22
Lou you guys must have it worse than we do with the salt. And I think we have it bad here. The crown vic and the silver one were good finds indeed. And they were local (I think). The silver one, the guy bought it from some old lady that I'm assuming never drove it in the winter. Crown Vic I know for sure was the same way. I'm ALWAYS on craigslist seeing what's for sale, I don't miss a whole lot. I'm seeing more and more instances of ads saying "texas truck" "VA originally up here for 3 years" surely because of the internet, people are bringing them here. You have things like Carchex so you can (supposedly) make sure it's at least not a total trashwagon, and then you take your chances with Brand X shipping company and it gets a couple dents or scratches or you're friends with a trucker that does the route often, etc. But there's definitely more out of state vehicles than I would expect to see. Don't have to go far from here either. That probably helps too. Driving down to NC this summer to bring my brother to a 7 week music camp/festival (yes we were able to stop at anthony, Kingcars' place and I met the whole family and rode in the white thunderturd and dads chevelle LOL) by the time you get to southern PA, you start seeing mid 90s and earlier vehicles that look great, get into VA and there's '96 and older body style Ford pickups looking mint all over the place. They love em down there apparently LOL.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #23
is the rot really that bad? its kinda odd for such a clean car. and as for the rot belt, i picked up a southern belle 90 f150 from tennesee, and they were running around like they were new, i couldnt believe it. compared to buffalo.

Reply #24
Quote from: 84TBirdTurbo42;370752
is the rot really that bad? its kinda odd for such a clean car. and as for the rot belt, i picked up a southern belle 90 f150 from tennesee, and they were running around like they were new, i couldnt believe it. compared to buffalo.

Tennesseans love their trucks!.... LOL My '79 F-150 has been a TN truck it's whole life and it's rust free aside from a little surface rust. There are TONS of late 80's - early 90's Ford trucks that look like they're only a few years old. Now the Chevy's...they seem to get rustier a little quicker.

And Zonda, I am truly jealous of you now....not only do you have a sweet 20th, you also have the black '88 XR-7 I've always wanted with plenty of goodies to boot. Nice score dude, beleive it or not, most of the Cats and Birds here in northern middle TN are beat up pieces of  or the owners want 4-5 grand for decent ones. Wish I could find a score like yours, throw up some more pics if/when you get a chance!
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #25
LOL I'm so sorry man. Makes me feel terrible to have the very thing a friend dreams of. Guess we got the same taste in fox cougars!! And yea I'll get some even better pictures of this thing when I get a chance. The sun was at a low angle which didn't help at all!

The picture of the rail of course was py. The other side one came out even worse. But they do look scary in person. A 1" or so long oval hole in the driver's side, you dig into it and see pretty thiiiick rust, lots of layers of flakiness. It bows out into the engine bay. The passenger side, looks like it rotted in the inner layer and that is bowing out the outer layer into the engine bay. But I think somehow that vertical side of the rail rotted on both sides of the engine bay. I mean if I gotta give it the same treatment as the red car...I'll take the K member out and everything. It is what it is. But I think I might get away with not having to. Just engine and tranny out, cut out that side, weld a plate in, if it's not butt-welded for a flush surface and made to look like nothing was ever done....noooo big deal. Just want the rot gone and it structurally sound. This will be next year's project once the red car is finally finished.

Reply #26
now you got me thankin' that i have a rot hole under the booster of my tbird i forgot about. ;) its funny how they rotted. but  you have gotten a steal of a deal

Reply #27
See strut tower rot is why I'm leery of picking up another T-bird. It's nice to have a car that spent most of its life in California.....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #28
Yeah for real. Gaze in approval all you want at these, but none of them are like that thing in your signature. Your engine bay, floors everything are all completely left alone by mother nature to begin with. Once there's even a start of rust on the seams, that's it. It's no longer like it was when it came off the line, never to be exactly like that again. Keep to your routine, don't take that sucker out unless the chance of rain is less than 20% from the talking heads and the sky looks heavenly. shiznit, what's the fun in driving it on a gloomy day anyhow. Someday youll have that on a show field with mirrors under it and people will shake their heads in shock and awe. :D

Reply #29
Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;370754
Now the Chevy's...they seem to get rustier a little quicker.

rocker and body mount rot.. the #2 reason i HATE fullsize chevys lol
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver