Skip to main content
Topic: Best way to improve cooling system? (Read 2960 times) previous topic - next topic

Best way to improve cooling system?

I would like to see if there's a way to improve the cooling system on my '85 T-Bird. It's all stock, with new head gaskets, thermostat, and water pump. It still seems to run a little warm on these hotter days (it's been in the 90s for the past several days). I'm using the T-Bird as my daily driver right now as my other car (a black 2005 Pontiac with inoperable air conditioning) isn't the most comfortable on hot days.
I was just wondering if anyone knew of an effective, yet fairly inexpensive way to reduce the engine temperature.

Thanks
Cornfed85

1985 Thunderbird - 3.8 V6, C5  :ford:  :birdsmily:

Reply #1
larger radiator may keep the reserve fluids cooler,,, that would be in my opinion the best approach.

you could rig up a new cooling path off your bypass hoses to another separate cooler I suppose, the question is as broad as it is wide.

a different temp rating tstat could be easier, yet what you do for the summer time would cause winter under heating issues.

Reply #2
Given you have a new t-stat and water pump, my first thought would be the radiator. How old is it?

Have you verified the actual temperature of the coolant? I'd use a multimeter with a thermocouple and have the TC insulated by a piece of foam on the hot side of the radiator near the hose.

Reply #3
Quote from: JeremyB;455811
Given you have a new t-stat and water pump, my first thought would be the radiator. How old is it?

This. If you still have the factory 1985 vintage radiator it could be part of your problem. After 30 years it could be gunked up and need replacing. A factory replacement (if needed) should cool your car just fine.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
Thanks guys,
Yes, the radiator is the original 1985 one. I had it boiled and re-rodded. The guy said he had to patch a few leaks, and that I'd need to replace it at some point in the future. I was hoping I'd be able to get through the rest of the year on this one. I'll check and see what the temperature sensor is reading. Maybe the gauge is funky.
Cornfed85

Reply #5
I ran a $80 aluminium single core rad for about 80k miles with no issues. It didn't fit 100% factory, but didn't take much work, but I can't remember exactly what all I had to do. Cooled good, even on 100+ days with ac running.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
Ok, cool!!! I'll keep that in mind.
Cornfed85

Reply #7
Hate to hi-jack this thread but I have a cooling related question as well. I discovered the fan on my 87 Tbird (5.0) is broken in several places and needs replaced. Anyone know if a Fox body Mustang fan will work and if so is it a direct fit? If I recall the Mustang fan has more blades, right?..Thanks for your input.... Now onto regular scheduled programming. lol.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #8
It probably should be a direct replacement. I have a Mustang 5.0 swapped into my 88 bird and I used radiator, fan and shroud from the Mustang as well and it all fit perfectly because of it being from another Fox body. Measure the diameter of your fan and I can check mine to compare if you'd like.
This will probably suit you needs:
http://www.foxresto.com/1986-93-Mustang-5-0-Fan-Blade-p/4986001.htm

Rick
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.

Reply #9
Quote from: ISTLCRUZ;455832
Hate to hi-jack this thread but I have a cooling related question as well. I discovered the fan on my 87 Tbird (5.0) is broken in several places and needs replaced. Anyone know if a Fox body Mustang fan will work and if so is it a direct fit? If I recall the Mustang fan has more blades, right?..Thanks for your input.... Now onto regular scheduled programming. lol.

Yup. I run a 9 blade Fox Mustang fan in my Thunderbird. Direct fit even with the factory Thunderbird fan shroud.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
I did my 3g at and Taurus fan for less then the parts store wanted for just the fan clutch.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
Many people overlook the fan clutch when they're going over their cooling system.  If yours is leaking and/or spinning too freely when you try to spin the fan by hand with the engine off, it's time for a new one.  Wanna upgrade?  Get this: https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-2783-Premium-Clutch/dp/B000C3DD3G

Spec'd for a 1991 Dodge Dakota 4wd with the 5.2.  Direct fit for our cars and Mark VII's and fox Mustangs to boot.  Will cool the car down much faster in traffic than the stocker.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #12
Why not a Flex-a-Lite?

:hick:
It's Gumby's fault.