Skip to main content
Topic: new head bolts? (Read 1502 times) previous topic - next topic

new head bolts?

I keep getting mixed responses when I look into this. I have a chilton for "ford engines 1968-1992" and it doesn't mention head bolts at all. Im assuming the stock head bolts arent tty, but I cant find any definitive answer either way. Googling is about 50% replace them you cheap skate or drop $100 on arp studs.

Im putting together a shopping list for my head gasket swap, new bolts are only $40 but are a special order part, while everything else is on the shelf.

Just trying to get this stupid xr7 reliable enough to last the winter so I can finally start fixing my 86.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

new head bolts?

Reply #1
Some will say to reuse them, others will tell you to spend the extra money for new bolts/studs..

Myself, as long as the motor isn't gonna be boosted or bottle fed, and is somewhat stock...stock bolts ought to be good enough. I used original bolts for mine...and it's a mild 5.0, E cam, P heads, yadda yadda..

However, if it ever gets taken apart for more upgrades later on it will get studs instead.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

new head bolts?

Reply #2
New bolts are always cheap insurance.

I've heard you can reuse them one time, and after that, toss them. The issue with that is, you have no idea if they have been reused before or not.
It's Gumby's fault.

new head bolts?

Reply #3
Up into '92 or so head bolts were reusable... Those are ID by approx 2" threads while the TTY bolts I've seen were threaded on most of shank... I've read the TTY bolts can be used three times but I've never reused them...

new head bolts?

Reply #4
X2.  All of the TTY head bolts I have seen are threaded the entire shank and are a collared bolt.  The non-TTY bolts are not collared and have a separate washer.  We have reused the non-TTY on stock applications all the time and not had an issue.  Key to this as others have said is clean mating surfaces for the gasket to seal to and absolutely no oil residue.  I typically use brake cleaner as carb cleaner will have residue.

This ebay sale of TTY 5.0L head bolts has a great picture of the bolts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291303289747?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

new head bolts?

Reply #5
Thanks guys, exactly what I needed to know.

Gonna be bone stock unless I got a cracked or warped head, then ill just toss the e7's off the motor I got on the stand.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com