Skip to main content
Topic: ok question...... (Read 1611 times) previous topic - next topic

ok question......

ive herd of the headlight switches failing in the 87-92 cougars or more but is that a prob in the 83-86 cougars tbirds? and the same with the ignition switch?
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Re: ok question......

Reply #1
Headlight switch:

85-86, yes (same unit as 87-88). 83-84 not sure

Ignition switch: yes. All Fords from approximately 83-94 except Probe and Ranger used the same switch. The recall only covered 88-94 models because Ford didn't want to pay for older vehicles, but the same nasty, failure-pr0ne, flammable switch was in the older cars
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
I changed my mulitfuction switch and that didn't fix it.  My birds an 84.  Just put a new switch that turns the lights on and off, and i think that's taken care of it. 

It sucks really bad when you are driving really fast and your headlights turn off and then it's really dark.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #3
Yes, the early fox cars had the ignition switch problem too. I had an '82 fox Granada, and the switch caught on fire. Luckily I was right there when it did, and put it out. :)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #4
Autozone sells fire extenguishers.  Anyway, how do they expect you to drill holes and replace the switch without giving you new bolts included with the ignition switch?  And did 86 birds have the same switch?  Cause i remember changing my 86 one, but when i went to change my 84's it was rivited in there.  I don't remember having to drill on my 86.  I actually changed it at a friends house cause it went in his driveway.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #5
Ford switched to security torx bits on the later ones. :) I had to knock the rivets out on the '82 also. No Autozones way back when I had that car...LOL. :grinno:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo