Skip to main content
Topic: Looking for rear spoiler for 1988 Cougar (Read 4851 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for rear spoiler for 1988 Cougar

I'm new to the forum, did a little searching and thought I'd just make a new post. My first new car was a black 1988 Cougar XR7, drove it for 9 years and 160k then sold it. It's always been my favorite car so when I came across one almost identical to it with only 72k I bought it this week. The car has only a few very minor issues before I'd consider it show ready and I don't even know if I ever want to get into car shows. Even the original paint is in great condition. I'll be parking this in my garage all winter working on details. The only difference between this car any my old Cougar is that it doesn't have a rear spoiler. I've searched for an OEM to no avail and I'd really like to go OEM if possible. Does anyone know of a place to find an OEM spoiler for an 87-88 Cougar? If not what would be my closest aftermarket option?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #1
I don't think there was a factory spoiler on any Cougar.  You will most likely have to go aftermarket.  BTW, welcome to the forums!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #2
1. Welcome
2.  Pictures
3.  Not factory installed but the dealers sold an accessory spolier that fit a coupla-three cars if I remember correctly. Someone  had posted a catalog picture of it mounted to - of all things - a Tempo I think.

Reply #3
I bought my original Cougar off the lot with the Spoiler already installed. I assumed it was from the factory. I suppose it's possible that the dealer had it added. It would have been on the invoice but it's been so many years that I don't remember. I found a JSP 91103 that looks very close. http://www.bodykits.com/JSP/Spoilers/JSP-OEM-Spoiler-_-92104/575579/
I wish I had a picture of my old car with the spoiler but I don't. The spoiler looked very close to the one in the link though. I have time to get this but I live in the mountains at 9200' so driving the cougar won't be possible for much longer. I'll install the spoiler myself but I'll have to have it painted and I'd love to get that done before it's too late. Any specific suggestions on brands would be appreciated, or if anyone knows of what the dealers where doing in 88 that would also be great. I'll try to get some pics up very soon. I just drove the car 900 miles home last night.

Also I know tires have came a long way. The old V rated tires sucked on wet pavement back in the 90's and they didn't last very long. I've noticed that some V rated tires are now rated as much as 85,000 miles. The car wasn't driven much and is due for tires due to their age. Does anyone have a suggestion for a really good wet traction speed rated tire in either H or V rating?

Reply #4
Welcome...
yep, cougars never came with those from the factory
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
some of us have some spare spoilers, if you have a picture of your old cougar or the spoiler that you are looking for someone might have one.  Thanks

Reply #6
I'm going to attempt to paste a picture of my cougar, hopefully it will go through. If it doesn't post maybe someone could tell me how.
I really wish I knew the brand of the spoiler that dealers were installing back then but it may not be mfg. now anyway.
So far the JSP 92103 looks to be the only similar spoiler that I've found. It's 56.5" wide and 45" bolt to bolt. That's just a little bigger then I wanted but I don't think it would really hang over the edges of the quarter panels. 44" bolt to bolt for the post would be ideal but I think I can make 45" work. For the cost I think I might as well go new unless I found a better fit used. If the pic goes through you'll see that she's in very good shape, the interior is as well. The front bumper will need repainted but overall the original paint is still completely acceptable. I had to change the drivers side tie rod ends last night but that went fairly quickly. I have several other minor details that I'll get into during the winter and may look for some ideas if I can find them. Thanks for the advice to this point.

88 cougar

Reply #7
Just testing again to see if I can upload a picture. I found the spoiler that is closest to what my new Cougar had when I bought it and I'm having it painted now. If this works I'll upload the before and after pic.
Charlie

Reply #8
Well at least that worked.

Reply #9
is it like the spoilers on the turbo coupe thunderbird 87-88 ?
eddie

my rides well some of them work:hick:

1995 towncar in black 246 K non running
1989 continental 110K waiting for a part
1984 cougar head gaskets done almost ready!
Yikes the daily ride ...1998 chevy lumina:hick:

Reply #10
Quote from: blackcat85;403852
is it like the spoilers on the turbo coupe thunderbird 87-88 ?

I'm not sure as I can't find a picture of one, but I'd think it would be close.
This is the spoiler I'm using as shown on a Tbird. It's the closest thing I could find to what my original 88 Cougar had.

Reply #11
That's an MN-12 car (obviously). I have a few of those spoilers in my garage. They may be a little wide for our cars, but I'm not sure. If that's what you want, I'll sell one for $10 plus shipping charges.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #12
Did it look anything like this?? This was a dealer installed package on my old Sport.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #13
Quote from: vinnietbird;403906
That's an MN-12 car (obviously). I have a few of those spoilers in my garage. They may be a little wide for our cars, but I'm not sure. If that's what you want, I'll sell one for $10 plus shipping charges.

Thanks, but I've already bought the JSP and it should be painted by now. It's 56.5" wide which is just inside the width of the trunk with the edges coming out just over the seams of the lid. It seems like a good fit and out of everything I could find produced today, it seemed like the only good fit.

Reply #14
Quote from: cougarman;403907
Did it look anything like this?? This was a dealer installed package on my old Sport.

That spoiler looks a little smaller then what I think I had on my original Cougar. I tried hard to find what I thought it might have been but couldn't really find what I though was the exact spoiler. This JSP is the closer thing I could find but it's not exact. Someone sent me a link to this GST spoiler which is a company that's now out of business. It was installed in a special package on Cougars but it's a littler larger then what I had and I think I prefer the looks of the JSP.