Skip to main content
Topic: Spherical Rotary Valve system by Coates engine (Read 4106 times) previous topic - next topic

Spherical Rotary Valve system by Coates engine

I check in once in a while to read up on thier press releases, the most recent is discouraging to say the least.  I hope some of you are finding this technology to be interesting and if this is your first time becoming aware of thier existance, then drool away. 
pay attention to the 5.0L tests at over 14,000 RPM.

http://www.coatesengine.com/

who wouldnt love the idea of
no fuel limitations on type
no oil
no coolant
no maint
more hp & torque
more air
more ft/min air flow
more everything

yet they cant seem to get this thing in the average consumer hands.

Reply #1
I can't imagine no oil or coolant. No matter what they do with the heads the bottom end and cylinder walls would still need oiling, and burning gas is gonna create heat, which has to go somewhere. Still, it's a cool technology, and I'd love to see it developed further...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
dig in a little deeper into thier site and they explain that part. You keep your existing cooling system but it would need retrofited to circulate throught the block only.
I can see several places where this modification could be integrated into existance,, water in, tstat , then water out.
a few years ago when we first found this company, they had more in house vids of thier system and an picture driven parts layout.

when i spoke to them back in 07, they were giving me a ball park figure of 3k per head.  who knows , i still think its  the most beautiful engineering since the advent of the rotary engine.

im kinda sad readign this press release knowing what it really means is this technology is too good for the disposable world that is currently being engineered.

these heads would certainly increase the life span of a typical n/a gas engine by several hundred thousand miles i would think not to mention the *FACT* that you would need far less oil changes.  How much greener can it get for crist sakes!!!!

I would think something like this would have taken off and sprouted wings in everyones garage by now, or at least in 50% of new autos coming out. 
There is obviously something far larger in the background driving this companys challenges for success and my gut says its the existing competition in play and already in place.

Reply #3
Like you, there's a lot of big money at stake for big oil. Things that are NOT mandated by Big Brother to cut on fuel use will be undercut by those who hold the purse strings of big oil. I think that increasing the longevity of our planet would be a bigger thing than whether you have 3 Bentleys, or just 2....

Either that, or doesn't work so well in the real world. I saw this a while back (maybe you posted it?) and found it intriguing.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
I sent this email to them, the last time i communicated with them, they responded back right away,, next working day.

=============================

I have been keeping an eye on your technology for some time now and find it difficult to digest the idea your head design may go over seas.  There are only a few good ideas that come around in a life time that really stick well and this one has for me.
I contacted your ofice a few years ago to inquire the cost for a set of heads for my n/a 5.0L engine and was not really clear after the call this cost would be however, at the end of the day, the quality of a part and the people behind the quality are what got us to the moon so dont forget that as you move towards survival mode and let another market get thier hands on your wonderful idea.

I and several others feel like we are watching an epic story of a great idea getting ready to self distruct, be wise and relize once you cross the ocean, your profits you thought you were going to get are going in "thier" pockets and you will become the next american company to fall prey to this over seas strategy.

Might i suggest that if your interested in making this product work for you and your P&L that you reach out to the public in the form of stock options.
I personally would invest 2k today although it does not sound like much, there are many people out there who like green energy no matter thier political party.  Your company has cracked the code in the effiency department and finally tuned the gasoline engine to the point that its carbon impact is less than we ever thought possible. 

Again, i am disapponted in the press release but if it is your choice, my home schooled boys and myself will continue to drool over this wonderful engineering feat and keep our imagination going thinking of neat things to build ourselves.

Please rethink your prospects for revenue, i personally would be interested to find a way to purchase a set of heads from you for a n/a E7 ford 5.0L engine if you offered it for sale today.
The reason for this is that i know beyond a doubt that your soltuion would offer severl 10's of thousands of miles of life span for my classic mercury. 

I can only "imagine" what it would be like to see these come up for sale at Summit racing or on the next ford mustang, but yet i suspect the big 3 are your biggest problems today because you offer something that just might last too long in the intensionally engineered disposable world we are living in today.

I am no stranger to the industry of gensets and power in general, i design and engineer many solutions for customers from telecom to you name it.  I was hopeful by now i would see your products out at the least in the spoogemnins or Kholer market by now and possibly even in small equipment.  I only wish i knew the issues of getting this off the ground because i find it ***most disappointing*** that no one on planet earth that i speak with has ever heard of this product, hence my closing message to you is perhaps a little more time be spent getting the word out, that may drive revenue potential up and you wont have to move over seas.

Very respecfully,
Scott Cassity

Reply #5
The problem with trying to sell a technology to save fuel (or even an alternative energy source) is that if it looks threatening to big oil the price of crude mysteriously comes down to the point the new technology is no longer economically feasible and it fails
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
I've thought this head type would be a natural (and easy retrofit) for the Ford 4.6 DOHC engine ever since you posted about it years ago. IMHO if farming it out overseas is what gets this off the ground than so be it. I'd love to see how it performs in a real world environment. That's not to say i strongly prefer it to remain an American company.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #7
I am still pretty worried about a stock 5.0 block spinning to 14,000 rpm's. I remember reading about a stock block mark 7 pushing about 400hp with these heads if I remember correctly. If you really could get 400hp on a stock block, I would think that it would sell well in the aftermarket community.

My bets are that they are trying to get it accepted at an oem level, which will cost quite a bit more, and take quite a bit more time for it to come to market. One thing I can't wrap my head around, is it seems to cause the engine to run as a 2 stroke, but this is based purely on speculation.

The long and short of it, you can get 3-5hp per ci reliably, but it will suffer long tem. Rpm's greatly increase wear, especially on the bottom end. After wasting some time with some old nitro model airplane engines, my dad used to build them for a hobby shop when he was younger. I have seen a .10ci motor pull over 4hp based on calculations of thrust and rpm's, but it only lasted for a couple or races. Its common to get 2-3hp from a .40 sized. These engine can run up to 25k rpm's, but again you get quite a bit more life out of them at lower rpm's.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #8
update below..................

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2013 5:12 PM
To: 'Dr. Evans'
Subject: RE: Ford5.0L Cassity,J. Jan.20,2013

Dr Evans,
I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply and my heart goes out to your team.  I am going to continue to wish and hope that you get a break and have the opportunity to make some funded progress on this.  With the political environment and its position on ecofriendly equipment, I am very surprised that you are not able to gain any leverage.
Perhaps a trip down to K street at a coffee shop may help with that, you never know who you are going to run into.

I love a good product and understand conceptually the vast difference between best cost versus best price.  If I can ask this question again, what is or was your antited price point per head  for the 5.0L your tests were performed on.

I am and will always be very interested in your product and hope for some good news soon.  At the end of the day, hard choices are made by all of us and regretfully I feel I am watching this product leave our trusted hands of the great minds like yours. 

Perhaps a demo / show and tell on Fox News?

Very Respectfully,
J. Scott Cassity
Alpha Operations Engineering
Critical Facilities Powering & Construction
HC83 Box 70A Gap Mills Wv 24941
Direct: (304) 772-3411 (PRIMARY LINE)

jcassity@alpha.com

No job is so important nor any service so critical that it would compromise safety and quality.

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2013 4:34 PM
To: James Cassity
Subject: Ford5.0L Cassity,J. Jan.20,2013

February 15, 2013

Mr. Cassity, your email reached us, and it is a pleasure to learn that you
have some knowledge of our innovative CSRV system that can be used
to refit most IC engines that utilize poppet valves. We are pleased with
the success that we've had to date with 2,4,6,and 8 cylinder engines.

We greatly apppreciate what you're saying in the email, but it takes a great
deal of money to set up a production line for any engine style. And, as you
point out, our domestic car companies have their hands full with imports,
loss of share, legacy obligations, etc.

Many thanks for your kind words, but kind words won't meet payroll,
purchase blocks, and grind spheres. To get the word out in your words,
we developed a solid corporate website as well as an OTCBB listing.
Please feel free to access either as often as you have a need to stay
abreast of the progress we're making. And again, many thanks for
your thoughtful email.

Sincerely,
Richard Evans, Director

Reply #9
I interpret that as saying "we can build it, we have built it, we know it works, but because nobody wants to spend on technology that meets or betters current tech, we can't sell our product"

Hence why they want to, or already did merge with a Chinese firm. Because the Chinese are selling a lot of cars.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #10
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;409421
I interpret that as saying "we can build it, we have built it, we know it works, but because nobody wants to spend on technology that meets or betters current tech, we can't sell our product"

Hence why they want to, or already did merge with a Chinese firm. Because the Chinese are selling a lot of cars.

Yeah, that.

Unfortunately for them, when you share technology with the Chinese they have a tendency to steal it, then undercut you in price and drive you out of business. For example, Nike places an order for a million pairs of sneakers with a Chinese sneaker factory. That factory produces the million pairs of shoes and sells them to Nike. They then produce another ten million pairs of identical shoes (after Nike handed them the designs) and sell them on the black market. They're "counterfeit", but are identical shoes. Every pair they sell is a pair Nike doesn't. This is also how knock-off iPods & stuff show up on the market as well. And the Chinese are not even shy about stealing. Those knock-off Honda small engines you can get at Harbour Freight (and in Canada, Princess Auto) actually have about a 95% parts interchangeability with real ones. I've seen photos of near-identical Chinese copies of BMW and Ford vehicles, including the F-150.

Why companies have not learned this yet is beyond me, but there you go. By continuing to willingly (eagerly, even) provide the Chinese with our technology we're not only condoning their theft (and not encouraging their very corrupt communist government to do something about it), we're also providing them with the technology to take over the world, either on a war front or on a financial front, or both.

Reply #11
And to add to that, China owns a lot of US debt...hate to see the day when they come wanting our assets to even things out.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6