Skip to main content
Topic: Bushing for Kickdown Rod 5.0 CFI (Read 434 times) previous topic - next topic

Bushing for Kickdown Rod 5.0 CFI

I'm looking for the kickdown rod bushing for a 1984 Tbird 5.0 CFI.  This is a plastic bushing that inserts into the top portion of the metal kickdown rod and then attached to the choke lever of the CFI body.  I ordered a 5-pack of Dorman bushings, but none of them fit.  I checked the major auto parts stores and none of them carry this bushing.  Also, checked Amazon and Ebay, but I can't tell if those bushings are the correct part / correct part number.  Does anyone know the correct Dorman part number of the bushing or would a different type of bushing work? Does anyone know a source for this bushing?  Thanks!...
1984 Ford Thunderbird LX 5.0 CFI

Re: Bushing for Kickdown Rod 5.0 CFI

Reply #1
I bought THIS bushing for the TV rod on the '85 LTS.

Works perfectly. Mine wound up being steel.

Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #2
I'm looking for the kickdown rod bushing for a 1984 Tbird 5.0 CFI.  This is a plastic bushing that inserts into the top portion of the metal kickdown rod and then attached to the choke lever of the CFI body.  I ordered a 5-pack of Dorman bushings, but none of them fit.  I checked the major auto parts stores and none of them carry this bushing.  Also, checked Amazon and Ebay, but I can't tell if those bushings are the correct part / correct part number.  Does anyone know the correct Dorman part number of the bushing or would a different type of bushing work? Does anyone know a source for this bushing?  Thanks!...

You probably made the same mistake my friend did back in the day for his car and bought the "shifter" bushings since they look kinda similar untill you hold them up to each other.
Mine went on my c5 mustang but electrical tape worked so well i never fixed it. I know you aod guys cant get away with that though.

I bought THIS bushing for the TV rod on the '85 LTS.

Works perfectly. Mine wound up being steel.

Those listing i see now suddenly all say you will get a brass or steel one depending on whatever but im betting they all just send out the steel ones.
My buddy put a new steel one on his aero mustang and it didnt fit because they manufactured it too small to fit on the stem, easy fix but still.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #3
 :dunno:

It took longer to open the package on this one than it did to install it. Mine was steel.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Thanks for all the info!...  Checked all the auto parts stores locally and online, but no one carried this bushing.  There is a bushing being sold on Ebay that looks like the correct one, but I don't want to pay $20-$25 for one small plastic bushing...

I decided to go to Home Depot and see what I could find.  The hole on the kickdown bar at the throttle body is an odd one - about a 27/64 inch sized hole.  So, I found a 1/2 inch plastic spacer, 1/4 inch long, and modified it with some 100 grit/200 grit sandpaper and a small metal file.  Seems to work okay, so I'll test this $1.25 modified bushing with a 1/4 inch hitch pin and see how long it will last... Thanks!
1984 Ford Thunderbird LX 5.0 CFI