Skip to main content
Topic: 1984 Tbird guage cluster pin out (Read 2238 times) previous topic - next topic

1984 Tbird guage cluster pin out

Anyone have the pin out for the cluster?

Reply #1
...I've been meaning to put that info on the site. I can look that up in my manuals and post when I get home, if that's cool.

Reply #2
That would be awesome and hugely appreciated Eric.  Thank you

Reply #4
That's awesome.  Thanks again Eric.

Reply #5
It seems like I had notes from trying various cluster swaps in my 83, that the base model, turbo model, and digital model had some pinout differences between them. This was about 15 years ago, but I am pretty sure there are differences. I'll see if I can find my notes.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #6
Welp, I found my notes for two of them, base and turbo. I didn't make notes on the digital cluster unfortunately. I think I have one in storage though. If I ever get it out, I'll pin it out. If I recall, these pinouts are from the perspective of looking at the back of the cluster:

X

Reply #7
Hrmmm....from what I can tell the non-turbo pinouts you had on that chart may be backwards, but like you said, that's likely because of looking at the cluster. When you compare it to below it seems everything more or less works out, going by the actual pin positions in the harness. Cool, thanks!

Here's what I used to determine the pinouts...the non-turbo, buttstuffog stock cluster:

And the turbo cluster:

I believe the 'indicator assembly terminals' might refer to the optional System Sentry pinouts.

For the rest, it was a matter of finding the circuit numbers in their appropriate sections in the EVTM and working backwards. The non-turbo pinout appears as if it contains the wiring for the digital cluster as well as the regular, because a few of them would do nothing for the base cluster but absolutely would for a digital one. It's possible that the base buttstuffog and optional digital clusters *MAY* swap out, more or less, based on that info. But CoogarXR also had a few empty slots so that might not work, who knows. Alas, we have no way of knowing until we get a guinea pig to try that theory out. ;)

To be honest I do NOT relish the thought of taking out my cluster again but if need be, I can, if only to verify things. But we'll see what RJ reports back first since he's actively working on this.

Reply #8
I will let you know guys.  Right now I am doing a wire tuck in the engine bay then I will be moving on to the gauge cluster wiring.

Reply #9
Yeah, my diagram was just so I could make my custom cluster back in the day. I just had a base model v8 cluster, but I wanted the fuel gauge in the center (from a turbo cluster) so I could make the left-half of the cluster an LCD screen. This was what it looked like back in the day. Unfortunately I never took any pics of the LCD lit up. It was just a display for my MP3 player (I was doing infotaintment before it was cool, lol)

Reply #10
That's cool.  This is my gauge set up.

Going for the race car look lol.

X

I'm going to have to find a spot for the air/fuel and fuel pressure gauge and boost gauge next though

Reply #11
Nice!

I had my Air/Fuel, Oil, and Temp, under the radio:

Reply #12
I will probably put them in my cowl. I need them to be easily visible during a race so I can let off if I see something isn't right

Reply #13
CoogarXR,
You said you had a digital cluster laying around??  Does it happen to be the '85/'86 style?  Could it be for sale?  Just curious.  Thanks.