Skip to main content
Topic: Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates (Read 3061 times) previous topic - next topic

Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates

A question about compatibility:

The maximum motorsports website lists different part numbers for caster/camber plates for 79-89 Mustangs (7989), 90-93 Mustangs (9093) and 83-88 Thunderbirds (8388). Can these "different" plates be interchanged? Is anyone using MM C/C plates for a "Mustang" on their T-bird or Cougar? Any adjustments/modifications?

The reason I ask is that Corral.net is having a pretty good deal on MM Mustang C/C plates (7989).  If they can be used on the T-bird/Cougar with success, I wouldn't mind picking up a set.
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

Re: Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates

Reply #1
mustang ones are setup so that one is backwards, other than that i dont know. but i would buy the bird/cougar ones,... infact their on my list for this month sometime :)

Reply #2
mustang ones are setup so that one is backwards
Ah, there's the rub.

Mustang installation:
16. Identify the driver’s side and passenger’s side
Main Plates. The large center slot will be biased
towards the rear of the car for increased positive
caster adjustment.

Therefore, Mustang plates have the main slot toward the 2-bolt end on one, and the 1-bolt end on the other.

Since our cars are "symmetrical", using Mustang plates you'd have restricted positive caster adjustment on one side, restricted negative on the other.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #3
the Mustang ones won't fit without widening the slots in the strut tower. i compared mine friends to mine... they are a hair shorter. i don't know what kind of impact that will have but i wouldn't take the chance.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #4
Don't bother with the Mustang units....stick with the T-Bird specific ones. And yes they are worth the money....very high quality piece.

Reply #5
The Tbird specific MM plates are worth it.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile