Skip to main content
Topic: Dont trow me a rock.... (Read 2764 times) previous topic - next topic

Dont trow me a rock....

Ok, this is a veeeeery easy question for you guys, for me, is another might....I never have changed the transmission oil. I know how to do it (quiting the tranny oil pan ? and put a new gasket after...) but I DONT KNOW what type of fluid i need to add. There are many types , Dexron, Mercon, F, etc. I also read that if i put the wrong fluid in the tranny wouldnt be good. What type of fluid i need to add  and how much? Its the Old C5.....
Thanks to all and sorry my english....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Re: Dont trow me a rock....

Reply #1
I'm guessing mercon but in any case it should say on the transmission dip stick what it uses.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #2
Dexron II (or III) is what you need for your C5
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
For '84 The C3 and AOD used Dexron II.
The C5 used Type "H" fluid. This is no longer available.
Look for Dexron/Mercron that is labeled as a replacement for Type "H" or meets Ford Specification ESP-M2C166-H.

Reply #4
...Which is just about all Dexron II or better. When I had my '85 with the 3.8 and C5 I searched high and low for "Type H", and finally a tranny shop told me that Dexron II is equivalent. For the record, I also went nuts trying to figure out what the "fishing bobber" in the tranny pan was...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
Not to hijack but is there a suitable replacement for type F? And are there any additives that are worth using? my tranny occasionally makes bad noises at me, seems to have started since I used a couple litres of that 'universal' fluid in it :brick:
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #6
I also went nuts trying to figure out what the "fishing bobber" in the tranny pan was...

me too for almost two hours looked high and low for WTF it could have come out of

Reply #7
ok you have me doing research.
Ford TSB 01-15-7  A/T Fluid Application Charts.
 All A/Ts from 1977 thru 2002 use either Type "F", Mercon or
Mercon V.
None of these are interchangable and cannot be mixed.
They also recommend against dual usage fluids.

C5 uses Mercon

Reply #8
Mercon = Dexron II. They're the same stuff, same specifications. The only reason the word Mercon even exists is because Ford did not want to use GM's name for it. In fact, if you look at a bottle of Dexron it likely says "Dexron II/Mercon" instead of just Dexron. The only place you're likely to find a bottle that only says "Mercon" on it is at a Ford dealership with a Motorcraft logo on it, and even then I'm doubtful that Dexron wouldn't be somewhere on the bottle anyway.

Reply #9
Type H was probably Dexron II with detergent added.
In the '84 shop manual, under transmission fluid check, there is a note: Fluid used in C5 transmissions contains a detergent that retains particles in suspension. Dark coloration does not in itself indicate malfunction or need for service.

My '84 T-Bird which I bought new,and has 136K miles on it, still has the original fluid in its C5.
It works fine and never needs any fluid added. I am for the most part a "gentle" driver.

Reply #10
All A/Ts from 1977 thru 2002 use either Type "F", Mercon or
Mercon V.
None of these are interchangable and cannot be mixed.

Shhhhh... Don't tell the '90 3.8 SC AOD I have in my Bird, or the AODE in the wifes '93 Grand Marquis they arn't supposed to have type "F" in them. The GM got the "F" back in early '98, while it was late '99 before the Bird was on line.

Reply #11
Ok, the dexron II or + would be good, right ?. And thanks for the explanation about the Dexron II / Mercon. I dont know that they are the same, but the name is different. Thank you...
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #12
:eek: I have mixed type F and Mercon several times without problems (i'm not recomending it!!). 
The real problems lie with the newer mercon V.  If you put mercon V in an older tranny designed for mercon, the clutches will slip in short order.  If you put mercon in the tranny designed for mercon V you will not have suffieient line pressure (especially when its cold out!)

Just be glad you don;t own a honda.  Newer ones need some Honda specific brand of trans fluid or the warranty is voided or something.  Crasy asian cars

Reply #13
I have mercon V in my 87 and I have never had problems with it. But since its a C5 it might not work so good.