Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone swapped to 87-93 Mustang dash/console/e-brake ? (Read 1591 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone swapped to 87-93 Mustang dash/console/e-brake ?

Has anyone here done this swap and if so, what were the challenges involved in getting the Mustang dash line up with the Tbird evap case or swapping to Mustang evap case?  Dash mounting points different on 83-4 Tbirds compared to 85-8 dash? I think the 85-8 dash mounting points would be closer to the 87-93 Mustang dash. Dash harness to chassis harness interface? And finally, e-brake handle/cable relocation to console?

This sounds like at least 3 cases of beer and a week and half straight of swearing (and sweating).

Reply #1
I’ve been curious about the same swap. If you do it ,you should start a swap thread on here to keep us up to speed. It seems someone on here years ago did a Mustang dash swap? I seem to recall somebody doing a SN95 dash swap and posting on FB also.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #2
While I don't know if anyone has installed a mustang dash there used to be a few pictures floating around here 10+ years ago of a mustang with an 85-88 tbird/cougar dash installed.

If I had more time I would track down an 83-84 dash and install it in my 88, I loved the dash in my 83 Cougar!
One 88

Reply #3
I remember seeing several SN95 dash swaps into Fox stangs on Corral. The work would be the same. Probably a good idea to have EVTMs for both donor and recipient cars so as to repin wires for cluster connectors, etc.

I mentioned something about swapping in an '87-93 dash into my '84 (because previous owner threw it away, NEW 4 eye stang dashes are shagin' big $$$$!) over on FEP, and some asshole threatened me with a ban, so I left that uptight shiznithole.
If you ain't paying my bills, "entertaining" me, or funding my projects, you ain't tellin' me what I can/can't do with my cars LOL.

Personally, I prefer the look of an Sn95 dash over a fox stang, but if I had my choice, I'd put a 4 eye dash into my 84, I want it to have a sleeper look when it's done. Save for the wider wheels/tires, and the obvious exhaust note.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
I've thought about doing a an-95 dash swap. Makes a 94-98 gt pretty tempting. 5 lug, better brakes and cup holders.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Yeah, I think the Sn95 dash is even tougher to make work than the 87-93 mustang one. Plus I've always been fine with the Sn dash in the Sn cars with the matching contours of the Sn door panels. But, something about using that dash without the door panels makes it come off looking both ugly and weird. Since the SN door panels cant be easily made to fit the doors of other vehicles, I just discounted ever using it.

I've seen pics of the 87-93 mustang dash swap into other foxbodys, even an older LTD!, and it played nice with the door panels and A pillar trim, not leaving any huge gaps or abrupt changes in the flow or lines of the interior layout. Just havent found any yet of one in a foxbody tbird or cat.

All that said, I'm gonna do a bit more research on this before deciding to pull the trigger, but if I do, I'll certainly dospoogeent it since it seems that swapping fox mustang dashes and consoles into tbirds or cats either isnt being done, or if it is, done so  clandestinely.

Reply #6
To be fair, the ltd dash looks nearly identical to the fox dash, and the 83-84 dash is pretty ugly compared to the 85-88 dash and real has no downside compared to a fox or sn-95 dash.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com