Skip to main content
Topic: Where can I get the Ford OEM Radio and EATC Module repaired? (Read 2116 times) previous topic - next topic

Where can I get the Ford OEM Radio and EATC Module repaired?

The display on my Ford OEM radio has burned out and the EATC Module won't hold the temperature it is set to after the car is turned off. Always comes back to 75 degrees. The local Ford Dealer Service Dept won't even look at my car because of its age. 1987 T-Bird. I know I could get a modern radio with its more options but I want to keep the car stock. So does anyone know who can repair these old radios? About the electronic EATC Module has anyone had the same problem I've described and has fix the problem or do you know who repairs these Modules?

Reply #1
I've never tried to fix or have the EATC module fixed. I just have 2 or 3 spares in case mine s out.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
I checked several years ago about radio repair for my 88 TC factory radio. Found a place in California called Radioman Repair. At the time they worked on our premium units, but that’s been a few years. Try a search to see if there still in business? They replace bulbs and could service the tape deck( at that time).... Good luck.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #3
My EATC will reset to 75 if the car sits for a few days except if I’ve left it at 67 or 82 when shutting down. Occasionally my display will “flash” until car is shut down for a while. This usually only occurs in cold weather, when I typically don’t use the car.
I have a spare or two as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.

Reply #5
We used to replace the display illumination bulb on the Ford head units all the time when I worked at home and car audio shop back in the early 90's.  Super simple on how to do it and this is about the best I can find on what bulb to get and how to do it.  The Bronco's basically had the same radio so hopefully this will help.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone/196313-light-bulb-radio-back-light.html

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #6
PM me your address and I will send you my head unit.  It works flawlessly.

Reply #7
Quote from: Aerocoupe;465444
We used to replace the display illumination bulb on the Ford head units all the time when I worked at home and car audio shop back in the early 90's.  Super simple on how to do it and this is about the best I can find on what bulb to get and how to do it.  The Bronco's basically had the same radio so hopefully this will help.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone/196313-light-bulb-radio-back-light.html

Bulb is okay. It is the florescent display that doesn't light up. With the front cover off I see there is some IC chips by the display which might be associated with the display not lighting up. Several places by me repair electronics but not going back to 1987.

Reply #8
There's a few companies around that will completely rebuild a head unit. I looked into and just decided that I would rather hide a unit under the seat and fill that spot with gauges
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum