Skip to main content
Topic: 84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap (Read 2197 times) previous topic - next topic

84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap

Hello all.  I am thinking of swapping in a nice 302 and manual tranny.  Where do I start?  I need an 8.8 rear axle correct?  What car best to get it from?  And transmission? Which manual is best to get?   

Thanks
Russ

84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap

Reply #1
For a trans, you'll want (need) a T5. Any from a '86 to '93 Mustang can be used. Avoid the '94-95 Mustang, unless you want to change input shaft and switch to a Fox bell (longer overall length).
Clutch pedal can be sourced from most any manual Fox Mustang...pretty much all the same. Throw the stock cable in the trash and buy a new one, better yet an adjustable. New clutch, too.

You don't "need" an 8.8 rear unless you're laying down some good power, or planning to race. You can get a trac loc limited slip and deeper gears for your 7.5, but there are upgrades too. Find an '87-'88 TurboCoupe being parted and there's a rear. If it's an auto TC, the rear will be 3.73, and have the limited slip, along with disc brakes, and the manual cars had a 3.55 R&P, same disc brakes.

Avoid the TC T5 (trans) as they had a deep first gear, but they can be used, requires a special pilot bearing though.

There's a big writeup over at CoolCats, this LINK will get ya started. Enjoy!
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap

Reply #2
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;460737
For a trans, you'll want (need) a T5. Any from a '86 to '93 Mustang can be used. Avoid the '94-95 Mustang, unless you want to change input shaft and switch to a Fox bell (longer overall length).
Clutch pedal can be sourced from most any manual Fox Mustang...pretty much all the same. Throw the stock cable in the trash and buy a new one, better yet an adjustable. New clutch, too.

You don't "need" an 8.8 rear unless you're laying down some good power, or planning to race. You can get a trac loc limited slip and deeper gears for your 7.5, but there are upgrades too. Find an '87-'88 TurboCoupe being parted and there's a rear. If it's an auto TC, the rear will be 3.73, and have the limited slip, along with disc brakes, and the manual cars had a 3.55 R&P, same disc brakes.

Avoid the TC T5 (trans) as they had a deep first gear, but they can be used, requires a special pilot bearing though.

There's a big writeup over at CoolCats, this LINK will get ya started. Enjoy!

I would avoid the 4 cylinder t5, like the plague. It has an aluminum throw out bearing retainer that you can't even find a replacement part for. Besides that both the TC and 4 cylinder t5 need a special throw out bearing to adapt to a 5.0, but it's extremely easy to source.
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap

Reply #3
If you plan on going to 5 lug snag a disc brake 8.8 out of a 94-98 Mustang GT. Try to find an auto car for the deeper gear set.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap

Reply #4
+1 on not using the TC T5. I used one once, it was like having a granny gear first gear was useless. But if you do, it requires a 89 Probe GT pilot bearing or one from a 2.2L diesel ranger

84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap

Reply #5
Grab a pick and pull $125 sn-95 v-6. Get a f-150 flywheel and clutch kit for a 302. I did my swap for $400 all in for the t-5. You dont need a new crossmember, you dont need a new driveshaft, everything bolts in like factory.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap

Reply #6
subscribing, because I'm starting down this same adventure with my 87. I'm going to run the 7.5 that I have for now until i locate an 8.8, or somehow decide to hang a 9" under there.

84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap

Reply #7
Quote from: Haystack;460887
Grab a pick and pull $125 sn-95 v-6. Get a f-150 flywheel and clutch kit for a 302. I did my swap for $400 all in for the t-5. You dont need a new crossmember, you dont need a new driveshaft, everything bolts in like factory.

Why a v-6 sn95??

84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap

Reply #8
Quote from: atengnr;460946
Why a v-6 sn95??

Cuz they are cheap & basically the same transmission that was used in 5.0 Stangs from '85-'89...

84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap

Reply #9
what about 99-04 mustangs in terms of tranny and rear axle?

84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap

Reply #10
The axles (just the shafts) are longer on those. The '94-'98 (axles only, the rear housing itself is the same for ALL years) has an ideal track width for Tbird swaps.

Basically there's three widths of Mustang 8.8 rears....you have Fox (4 lug) and those are too narrow for Tbirds, then there's the '94-98 Mustang 8.8 and those are perfect, as you get 5 lug and disc brake, then there's a the 99-04 and the axles in those are longer than the '94-98,though the housing itself is the same, as is the brakes. You CAN swap the axles all around through all the years, same with brakes, but expect it to be a bit of work putting discs on a drum rear.

What I did with my Sport was use a TC 8.8, '94-'98 axles, the stock Tbird Sport drum brake backing plates, '88 Crown Vic drums, and Tbird Sport brakes shoes for a 10 inch drum brake 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears and Trac Lock. Worked like a charm

I still have that rear, actually....though it's not for sale.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap

Reply #11
98.5 t-5's went from an buttstuffog to a digital signal. Even though the speedo will work, it will read 4x as high (8000 pulses per mile vs 32000).

Suposedly you can just machine the shaft the speedo gear goes on and add a plastic gear/clip to retain it, removing the reluctor pack (basically magnets), but i didnt get that far on mine. It was fun driving at 80mph and watching the odometer flipping numbers like you are going 320mph though.

Even though the speedo stops reading at 199mph(with w2 mod), it will eventually reset to 0mph again.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

84 Tbird 3.8, 5.0 swap

Reply #12
Correct axle housing dimensions are stickied at the top of this forum...

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?13253-Deciphering-Fox-Axels

The '99 and up 8.8 axle housings are wider than the 86-98 8.8 housings and the '99 and up axle shafts are longer than the 94-98 axle shafts.  The 94-98 V6 and GT axle shafts are the same and both will work in either the 86-93 or 94-98 8.8 axle housings.  The difference in track width on the 94-98 housings vs. the 86-93 housings is the longer axles (0.75" per side) to clear the ABS exciter rings.

The '99 and up rear axles assemblies are wider to accommodate the wider body of this generation of Mustang so just let them be and look for the 94-98 rear ends.

I have a 86-93 stock width 8.8 housing with Cobra rear brakes under my '83 and you can make up for the narrower width by choosing the correct offset on the rims.  You can get the SN95 rear brake adapters here:

http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html

And you will need to get stock Fox Mustang length 8.8 axles that are five lug from the likes of Moser or Yukon Gear.

Just scroll down.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp