Skip to main content
Topic: AOD in 84 Tbird 3.8l (Read 1376 times) previous topic - next topic

AOD in 84 Tbird 3.8l

Hello all.  Im curious what you all think about the effect the 3 speed has on engine longevity as compared to 4 speed.  It seemed to me that the 1988 3.8 motors lasted much longer than the TBI 3.8l, and I always wondered if a big part of it was the overdrive transmission, which kept revs down.

How difficult would it be to swap an AOD into this vehicle?

Thanks.
Russ

AOD in 84 Tbird 3.8l

Reply #1
The later cars had an aod, so it wouldn't be hard.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

AOD in 84 Tbird 3.8l

Reply #2
Quote from: Haystack;458794
The later cars had an aod, so it wouldn't be hard.

Yeah, my '87 3.8 has an AOD.

Can't remember what a swap would take offhand.

Flexplate?
Driveshaft?
Kickdown rod?

Given the age of our cars, I'd do the swap for comfort (lower rpm on the highway)only . Doubt the swap would every pay for itself for gas savings and doubt the longevity difference will ever matter.

AOD in 84 Tbird 3.8l

Reply #3
The 84 shop manual says; the AOD was an option for the 3.8L in '84.

AOD in 84 Tbird 3.8l

Reply #4
Thanks all.  Is crossmember same for transmission?

AOD in 84 Tbird 3.8l

Reply #5
What is the past way to identify what parts I would need for this job?  IE kick down, trans mount, etc.

AOD in 84 Tbird 3.8l

Reply #6
Google, part numbers, auto parts websites.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com