Skip to main content
Topic: 87 "coug" resto winter project (Read 81725 times) previous topic - next topic

87 "coug" resto winter project

Reply #75
Now it's time to dig out the trunk and find out the problem places

Reply #76
Now it's time to fill in some holes grind away some metal and rust and add fiberglass

this shot is complete on sand blasting and rust neutralizer

Reply #77
a few problem areas we need to fix.

I will say it again to *********ALL 87/88 COUGAR OWNERS
***on the passenger side of the trunk area there is an opening the factory did not seal properly.
there is a partial circle area that if you can catch in time can be sealed with silicone, otherwise, this is the reason why you have dampness in your pass side of the trunk.
this pic is up near the rear window on the pass side.

Reply #78
a few more shots of holes in my project

the second pic is an illustration of the very same problem I have found on the passenger side.. the circle stamping hole is exposed allowing water to enter the car

the third pic is where I pecked in the metal to allow room for the fiber

Reply #80
not too bad,, It appears worse than what it could be.

so here are a few progress pics with fiberglass

I had to peck the surfaces low to come back in with fiberglass and plan in some degree of a thin layer of bondo.

the last picture is looking into the pointy out part that as a hole in it.

Reply #81
here is some touch up I did with fiber to fill the passenger and driver drainage up near the back window

Reply #82
Have fun. Body work is my least favorite thing to do. Next to suspension work.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #83
I don't mind it,,
basically when I find an area of concern, blast off the rust then protect the metal, it makes me feel good knowing "I saved it" ~ for a little while more.

Taking things in small manageable chunks helps a lot, that way you make progress on small pieces that add up.

Reply #84
progress on the tail section

first layer of bondo,, back with a second coat and should be good enough to blend with the rest of the car paint

Reply #85
sub frames started
47 3/4'' long per side
steel is 1/8'' thick, sized 1'' x 2''

passing through the front floor pan with 1/2'' carriage bolts w/ silicone on the inside and completely through the frame ,qty 2 connections up front per side

passing through the rear sub frame with 1/2'' carriage bolts and through the over lapping sub frames to connectors on the rear, qty 3 in the rear per side

this sub frame inserts into the front frame about 12'' or so and lays under the rear frame directly underneath the 2 conveniently provided 3'' spaced square holes I plan to use for the rear connection point,

the angle of the bend is 175deg even
this layout does not obstruct the Ebrake cable either.

this will come together over the next week or so.

Reply #86
oh yeah,, and the trunk is re-silicone treated to all disturbed areas.
I need to use up a second tube on areas I think the factory neglected and improve the drain holes inside the trunk along the rear lower qtr panels.

Reply #87
I'd weld those SFC's if I were you guys...if a welder was available.

Think it was Jerry (daminc) that notched his floor pans, ran his through the cuts, welded it all up, and hid it with carpet afterward. Put a bend in the tube, it's going to weaken it, no?

But then for just a street driven car, it's probably not that big of a deal, and removable if you ever want or need to.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #88
thought up a different plan,, welding is going to happen, it will be easier to do it that way with this new plan
the bend was required to dodge the floor pan,

also the front frames are not the same distance apart as the rear frames.
the front is wider apart than the rears, I would have assumed the opposite would be true but its not.
the rear frames are about 1'' inboard more than its respective front frame.

interesting the things you notice when you do other things that cause you to notice them.

Reply #89
there will be a very very wide triangle steel plate on each side of the bent area to brace that bend