Skip to main content
Topic: Tired of no traction->need help putting togther suspension (Read 5055 times) previous topic - next topic

Tired of no traction->need help putting togther suspension

I went to the track again tonight, and I cannot get this think to hook. Traction comes and goes, Ive cut 1.7x 60ft times before. I want consistency though. Basically I have stock upper/lower control arms, 2000 Mustang vert rear springs, removed rear sway bar, and Nitto 275/50/15s drag radials. I need some advice from those who have installed aftermarket control arms/subframe connectors/etc in these cars.

Id like to reinforce my torque boxes, install upper/lower control arms, install subframe connectors, and possibly run different tires(thinking of M/T drag radials). Who has done any of this, and what parts did you use? Are you pleased with the results? The car will be going down in the winter, and I need to address the rear suspension among other things. THx guys.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Re: Tired of no traction->need help putting togther suspension

Reply #1
it all depends on how much money you feel like spending, you could probably get away with replacing the rear bushings, boxing the control arms and putting in some subframe connectors

if you want to go aftermarket, you can use mustang lowers, and the uppers,GM A-body uppers are a direct swap, fit perfectly
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
i solved this problem a long time ago;)

these are pictures of the lowers
http://www.maximummotorsports.com
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

Reply #3
and some pictures of the uppers

now  we all know it's hard to find uppers for our cars and for a good price but all is not lost..

the uppers i used where
"chevelle"1968-72 A-Body Bolt-On Rear Upper Control Arms

part number 550-40086 price $124.99

and fit perfect there are only .040 off.. and will bolt right in with no problems at all..
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

Reply #4
in reguards to the uppers......
i knew the gm uppers work but...do you use your old bushings or do they come with there own bushings? how about the hardware... :dunno:
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #5
Thx for the replies guys. BlownCoug, the pics help out alot, I had heard about the Abody uppers, now I know. I went on the Jegs site and they said that the uppers do not include the spherical bushings on the rear of the control arm, which ones did you use? I will probably go with the same setup as you, does it hook? Also, do you have an oil leak, or ???
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #6
I just installed the Maximum motorsport lowers this week and I love them. I'm hooked on this suspension stuff now. Only thing I wish I did was buy the adjustable lowers. I think I'll be ordering the uppers this week..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #7
from jegs listing
1968-72 A-Body Bolt-On Rear Upper Control Arms - P/N 550-40086

* Center to center length is 10.250''.
    * Urethane bushings for the front of the arm are included.
    * The rear of the arm use the stock or a replacement bushing in the housing eyes.
    * Control arm body is 1-1/2'' steel tubing.
    * A replacement bushing set for the front of 2 arms is P/N 550-40801.

they come with the front bushings.. ;)  you will need to buy new bushings for the rear end..i used stock ones. and i reused my old bolts..

the car does hook much better.. heres a fuuny story :giggle:Billy"mercoug302" took my car for a drive when i got the new motor in "N/A" the blower was being rebuilt.. and i had'nt installed the uppers or lowers yet.he was facing like south west so he smashed the gas and well lets just say :giggle:the car wanted to go east..
now as far as how good the car hooks with the blower on the motor
well i'm useing street tires 295/50/15's... lets just say not so good but the car does go fairly straight though and i sure it would hook well with slicks and should pull the wheels.. but have'nt tryed it.. i know that my little old T5 will :barf:

oh and the oil leak well yes that was the last T5 before it :barf:

T5's and drag racing is a :nono:

but i still have'nt learned my leason :giggle:  i just love to see peoples faces whom want to race me around here in rhode island when i side step the clutch @ about 35MPH and leave over 100 feet of rubber :rollin: lets just say they don't come chase'in.. but i'm a nice guy and let them catch up and they useuly have a look on their face like this :wtf:

but so far this T5 is still holding up

any other questions let me know

Nick

Reply #8
Hey Blown306Cougar what diff are you using and how are you able to run 295 with what rims thanks lmk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
87 T-Bird turbo'd and supercharged and if things call for it juiced. :evilgrin:
88 Turbocoupe t3, 4.10's, Daily driver

Reply #9
i'm useing a 8.8 mustang rear with a F150 31spline diff inside the housing..

the mustang rear is 3/4 of inch shorter on each side then a stock cougar or T/bird rear thats how i got the 295/50/15's to fit :evilgrin:

i'll post my rear end spec's again...
 8.8mustang rear, F150 31spline diff,3.55 gears, 31spline moser axles
and 4" race studs like these  :evilgrin:

and yes those are 10" drums.. you did'nt think i would use those y little 9" drums did you  :evilgrin:

Reply #10
oh and the rims i'm useing are weld drag lites

and this is what the rims and tires look like with them on the car :evilgrin:

Reply #11
dont brag on the futuras :p
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #12
right i don't waste money on big dollar tires anymore.. one time i had BFG's when i had my 17"ROH rims i was useing 245/45/17's on the front and 275/40/17's on the rear and they did'nt last any longer then futuras nor do they hook any better and futuras are half the price..

when those picture where taken September 20, 2003 those tire where over 2 years old..

and had tons of burnouts two trips to ohio and other countless tirps too in the time that i had those tires on the car and replaced them about the first weekend of December 2003.. :p

Reply #13
honestly, my experience with BFGs has been shiznit
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #14
blown306cougar:  Could you tell me the wheel size/backspacing you needed to get that size tire to fit? I have a mustang 8.8 and the wheels I ordered looked great but I need a drag wheels to fit some bigger tires! Also is there any room left to go bigger?

Whats the reason for using aftermarket upper control arms instead of boxed? I have a stock set we boxed I was going to put on the car cuz I cant really see any reason to spend the money on new ones.

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's