Skip to main content
Topic: How to beat the gas prices (Read 1831 times) previous topic - next topic

How to beat the gas prices

I drove the truck for the first time since the swap lastnight, and just made it to the shell before it ran out of fuel. 84L for $46!!!!!! :giggle: To put that in perspective, if it were gasoline it would have cost me $67!

I remember when gas was 56c/L here. So I'm paying pre war prices for my fuel now. (the only thing is propane was 25c/L before).

Oh, and it sounds bloody AWESOME! I've got timing set to +12. Bases at +8, and you can go to +14. This gives me even better economy still and improves performance at the same time. It rumbles now instead of hums, and that's with stock replacement exhaust.

LIFE IS GOONDA!!!  :banana:

Re: How to beat the gas prices

Reply #1
Sounds like a good plan.  ZGot any of those propane setups around that I can retrofit on my Topaz?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
I have actually researched that for my tempo (1992) but I decided it wouldn;t be cost effective.  All the kits are made (commercially) are for trucks and commercial vehicals.  I didn't think modifying a  commerical kits to work on a tempo would be to easy either.

Reply #3
My buddy had one set up on his hyundai stellar :dunno: but neither of us were brave enough to try it out :rollin:  the car sat in a field for years and had a dirtbike fuel tank duct taped to the roof for a "gravity feed" system :nono:

But you have to ask yourself who is so cheap that they dont want to pay the gas prices in a hyundai? and how little power did that under powerd pos have on propane :eek:
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #4
Well that's just the thing. I was filling the lone saddle tank (the other one had a hole in it so I removed it) every two days, and I would get about 80K to a $24 tank. :dunno:

As for the lesser power from propane, I'm going from a 305 with a huge vacspooge leak and 219k to a freshly rebuilt 383 stroker with high comp pistons (built for propane). Having never run this engine on gas I'll never know what I'm missing, and the upgrade is SO drastic as it is.

I know now, after one trip, that I need a taller rear end. I can't afford a turbo400 right now, but I can't take it on the highway as it is. It shifts into 3rd at 60kph (37mph) and is roaring pretty well by 100 (62mph).

I don't suppose there's any point asking a Ford board what the stock 1/2T C10 Custom Deluxe rear was in 86 (305 carb T350)?

Reply #5
Wow, I had no idea the truck was propane.  That's unique as hell.  Can you just use the regular 20lb cylinders or does it use bigger ones?  You need special spark plugs or anything?

Reply #6
To make an engine run on propane, you don't need to change anything below the throttle body/carb. Propane gas burns just like atomized gasoline, but less violently. So you get a slight loss in power, causing you to use more propane than gasoline, but it's so much cheaper that it's still a lot easier on the pocket. The propane runs as a fluid to a heated unit that metre's it and changes its state to a gas, then on to a propane intake. I don't know what's so special about one of those though. It still uses the stock breather and filter too. It's literally only in the fuel system.

The bottle sits under the truck, strapped to the frame. Runs from just under my arse to the stock filler door (LWB). Just one 90L ish (23, 24 gallons). Most commercial trucks have huge tanks in the box, right up against the cab. I know fullows who used to go a month on a tank. Too big for me though, and I like to make use of my longbox.

Here's what the side of the tank looks like from ground level.

Reply #7
You're givin' me some eeeevil ideas here.. heh.