Skip to main content
Topic: Carlisle 2009 Pictures -- 56 K Annihilation (Read 8547 times) previous topic - next topic

Carlisle 2009 Pictures -- 56 K Annihilation

Reply #30
That makes sense, Tom. Thanks. Paul, if they're set up for compressor duty, there wouldn't be any spark or fuel, just air. It looks converted, anyway, with those caps. The exhaust ports must feed the tank, though I can see that pipe coming directly out of the side of the head, through the gauges, direct to the tank. Slick, no matter how they have it ported, though I see no line from what I'm going to call cylinder #1 to the tank. I'd love to poke my head around and see how everything is plumbed.

*edit*
I can't believe I just called that the head.... on a flat-head. :hick: I'll change my tune and say block, not head. ;)

Reply #31
Quote from: oldraven;276739
It looks converted, anyway, with those caps.

The block, valves & pistons are likely std Flatty items, I'll guess it has a special cam so it can intake on every revolution, I honestly don't know... The head is special cast, note it has no provisions for spark plugs on the end cylinders... Also note there are only three exhaust ports center cylinders share a the center port... Which brings up a interesting little story...

About 10 years ago I went to a customers house that had more models than I've ever seen in one place... They were displayed in very nice cases and most were high dollar pieces, generally detailed to the max... Anyway he had a '32 Ford with a flatty similar to Milner's in American Graffiti, and while I was admiring the collection asked me, what detail was wrong on the model... I instantly said "it has four exhaust ports, flattys only had three"... He said "well in x years(I don't remember how many he said) you're only the second person that could spot the error"... Said one older rodder that messed with them back when, spotted it...

Reply #32
I'd like to see some more pics of it too, especially the plumbing. It's piqued my curiosity enough that I'm actually trying to find info on it.

Here's a pic of a flathead V8 compressor mounted on tracks. This one shows the center two cylinders being "compressor" and the outer two being "engine"

*EDIT* Here is a link with some more pics of the one at Carlisle (the two cylinder heads are actually different from each other):
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2006/07/12/schramm-you-kids/

...and here's a PDF file with some more info about it on page 3:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/v-8northernvirginia/Valve%20Clatter/VC0409.pdf
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #33
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;276745
Here's a pic of a flathead V8 compressor mounted on tracks. This one shows the center two cylinders being "compressor" and the outer two being "engine"

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;276704
You mean this guy??? That is a 24 stud Flat Head V8(post WWII) with a special head so the end cylinders are used as a compressor... Likely the center two cylinders are configured the same on the opposite side...

I mentioned I thought that would be the case in my first post about it...  That way one half of the intake only supplies air the other half supplies fuel and air to the "engine cylinders"...

The 289/302 I saw configured as a compressor, was used on truck that did mobile big rig tire repair...

Reply #34
We had a 2 cylinder compressor rated for 25 HP at the hangar I worket at in the USAF.  I coulda swore both cylinders had plugs....Looked EXACTLY like this one....Looking closely, I realize I was wrong.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #35
Does anyone know what you do if you won an award? They have me listed as 3rd place for 80-88 non-T/C T-Birds. Do you have to call them? Do they call you? This is a first time for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #36
No comments on the Taurus with the TC hood vents? :rollin:

Reply #37
if you look at the trunk it has like a zx2 spoiler on it. Totally ruined it for me.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #38
Does anyone know what you do if you won an award? They have me listed as 3rd place for 80-88 non-T/C T-Birds. Do you have to call them? Do they call you? This is a first time for me.

I believe you have to contact Carlisle Productions now. There was a sign posted in the registration building that they now charge $10 to send an award to you. That's about all I know.

Reply #39
Quote from: cougrrr302;276503
Those 2010 Mustangs are the ugliest cars I have ever seen... I love the '03'04 Mystic Cobra there, and the SVO's.

It seemed less ugly in person. I drove one a couple of weeks ago - not bad I guess.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #40
Quote from: Haystack;277909
if you look at the trunk it has like a zx2 spoiler on it. Totally ruined it for me.

Unfortunately that ugly trunk spoiler is factory installed. :punchballs:

I came very close to buying one of those SHO's about 10 years ago. The thought of having a practical family type car that had a V8 engine was pretty hard to pass up. My wife was pretty excited about it too until she layed eyes on it.
Since it was going to be her daily driver she had the final say on the deal and I just couldn't convince her to look beyond some of the cars quirky styling features especially the huge oval rear window and that hideous rear deck spoiler.

Brent
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #41
Quote from: thundr306;277885
No comments on the Taurus with the TC hood vents? :rollin:

Actually there were a couple of comments on it. Did you read any of the posts? :D

Reply #42
The TC hood vents looked so well done that I was wondering if there was some sort of SVO Taurus with TC scoops that I wasn't aware of :hick:
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #43
i didnt know there was still a market for the multi-changing paint, seemed like a 90's thing to me.

And the 2010 stang to me is a remarkable redisign. I love the 03-04 style, the 05 lost me, they made it ok in 09, but the '10 calls to me.
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock