Skip to main content
Topic: 10.99 in the 86 with a vortech guys read on need help on the suspension (Read 2146 times) previous topic - next topic

10.99 in the 86 with a vortech guys read on need help on the suspension

its been awhile since ive posted here but here is a video of the 126 pass @ 11.0 before the altaenater died cause after this pass it kept slowing down till the car wouldant start then we knew what was wrong lol 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrMG1Gn5ny8&feature=channel
know ive got che control arms on the rear ive tried 275 40 17 and 255 50 16 and neither will hook im running turbo coupe springs with stock replacement shocks the car initial hit is good it picks the front tires up then bam it starts spining u have to get out of the gas and get back on it, for it to other wise it will just burn them, so i know the car has atleast a 10.80 in it, im just not sure if i need drag shocks or some real slicks i have no clue what kinda power the car is making but its the vortech with the stock 3.33 pulley i believe not sure on the size but its the 10 pound kit with a powerpipe and water injection and afr 165 heads  any input on what i do to make this thing stick is greatly appreciatted

thanks
Robert

Reply #1
awsome dude good job!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
what block or you running?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
stock 302 block with better rods and mahle pistons

Robert

Reply #4
you might want to be careful. I'd guess you got close to 400hp if not more. Stock blocks tend to split in half at the 450 to 500hp range. There are a few guys running speeds close to what you have. If you can get an air bag on the side that tries to twist it would help out some with your launch. There are also better spring and shock options.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #5
What are your 60 foot times?
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #6
 thats a nice 1/4 mile time is that a V-1? vortech added a ton of stuff to my cougar XR7 upr coil overs in the front and che a-arms in the back and Caster chamber plates and subframe connectors but the car does not even have like 25 miles on it so i can't really say how much that stuff has helped yet but it rides well.

Talk to Chuck W buy everything form him and then go look into mustang performance parts to finish out the rest of it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #7
stock 302 block

Mounts or plate holding it to the car?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #8
Solid mount on the drivers sidevim debating on 90-10 up front I'm getting and airbag for the passenger rear need some input on what needs to be done I've got che control arms

Robert

Reply #9
if you get it to hook perfect, I'll bet you can hit 10.5's in the 1/4. I would get an aftermarket or 351 block if I were you though.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #10
You may be right I'm sure there's more power in the tuning but I'm not sure I wanna push it any harder LOL I've talked to ChuckW andvhe is working on me some stuff and I've got and airbag I'll pick up tomorrow

Robert

Reply #11
your mph alone should make you able to launch well into the 10's.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.