Skip to main content
Topic: Is there something GM's not telling us? (Orlando concept) (Read 2514 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there something GM's not telling us? (Orlando concept)

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/01/paris-2008-orlando-concept-previews-production-chevy-mpv/

Gallery

This is Chevrolet's new Orlando concept, debuting at the Paris show going on right now. They're touting it as a 7-seat CUV/MPV that shares the modified Delta II chassis that will underpin the Cruze, and more importantly, the Volt.

The press release makes no mention of some glaringly obvious mechanical and design elements, and only talks about the new 2.0L Diesel that will power it.

But I don't think the Diesel will power it at all. This car was already confirmed to be built in Hamtramck Michigan, on the same line as the Volt, though about a week later GM denied it and said it would be introduced to Europe, Asia, and a few other foreign markets, but will not be sold or built in North America. I call bullshiznit on that too.

So break it down. Solar panels on the roof, the same 'black-glass-going-from-roof-to-rear-vertical' design element as the Volt, blue lighting (blue in Europe has the same social connotation as green does in North America when it comes to cars) everywhere, and a longitudinally mounted four cylinder on a platform designed to take a transverse four, and not in the centre of the engine bay by a long shot, just like the Volt, to make room for the electric drive motor.

This is the Volt CUV. The Volt will be the one they end up selling for as little as possible, whilst they make a profit on bigger, more desirable but still environmentally friendly new hit cars. It's going to work well, if the world economy doesn't go to hell.

And a diesel engine to run a generator. I've been calling that since the first time I read about GM's E-flex plans. A diesel can be extremely small and have massive torque to run any generator at any load. You should see how tiny the 3-cyl diesel is in my Father's small Ford tractor. 4x4 and I've seen it pull stumps with ease. Best of all, it uses far less fuel than a gas engine of much larger size that is built for horsepower, which is useless in this application. With the extra torque but less consumption, they can probably afford to put a bigger battery in it as well, giving an even longer all electric range than the Volt before the generator kicks in.

I need a 7-seater, and I've been following the development of E-flex since I first heard mention of it, but could never buy a 4-seat 4-door sedan. The Volt just doesn't fit my life, no matter how much I want to own the technology. So this is a pretty big deal for me.

Reply #1
I saw this thing a while back (In one of my brothers Diesel magazines) , it was around the time scion changed their xb over to the new style (I thought it looked a lot alike the new XB). None the less seeing economy cars that are using diesel is a cool thing maybe ford might follow suite with a C-Max port for the Americas?

Reply #2
Quote from: 20th anny 5.o;238134
I saw this thing a while back (In one of my brothers Diesel magazines) , it was around the time scion changed their xb over to the new style (I thought it looked a lot alike the new XB). None the less seeing economy cars that are using diesel is a cool thing maybe ford might follow suite with a C-Max port for the Americas?

I do believe you're thinking of another rig. We only got sketches a couple of weeks ago, and the thing hasn't been seen in sheet metal form before today (other than some leaked images last week). It's a brand new concept for the Paris auto show.

This is what I was talking about with the engine layout. There's no way that diesel is driving the wheels. And diesel powered vehicles have no need for photo voltaic cells.

Reply #3
The one that i saw was totally diesel powered it had a 1.3 or or a 2.0 diesel. I do not believe it had the solar cells on top.

Reply #4
Ok. What did it look like, if you can recall. I'm curious what that was.

I just noticed the hatch floor looks like a circuit board when laid flat.

Reply #5
I am almost certain it looked exactly like that and Chevy being just like every other American auto maker said that Asia and Europe would only see these.