Skip to main content
Topic: snow cars (Read 2913 times) previous topic - next topic

snow cars

dose any one drive their car in the winter and how do u keep the rust from eating the car alive?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
88 5.0L aod with duel flowmaster and speedo mod
88 5.0L H.O with 5 speed R.I.P
87 3.8L no trans. geting h.o and 5speed (project never ending thunder) started it as of 8-14-10
96 bronco xl 5.0L 5 speed man4x4
:birdsmily:

snow cars

Reply #1
You don't.....salt will kill these things.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

snow cars

Reply #2
Check out my link
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

snow cars

Reply #3
imo if you let the distributor seal go bad and not fix it, it coats the whole bottom the car very nicely, i dont think salt could make it through that :hick:

in all seriousness tho, i dont think these cars are easily winterized and rust proofed.  i've always seen these cars in the stage of it has rust so now the plan is to stop it from rusting more.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

snow cars

Reply #4
i have an other 88 that i drive all year long and it still dose not have the amout of rust
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
87 3.8L no trans. geting h.o and 5speed (project never ending thunder) started it as of 8-14-10

snow cars

Reply #5
I drive mine all year (without the Cobra R's).  I spray it down at the car wash about every other day.  I don't really know if this helps at all, but it gives me peace of mind...

snow cars

Reply #6
The reconditioning department is in my building at the dealership I work for.  So I wash my truck every couple of days and every day when it snows.  Used this big fancy machine to take a stain out of my seat today :hick:
One 88

snow cars

Reply #7
well theres one way to winterize them get that truck bed coating and spray the whole bottom of the car it would be messy but the stuff works.

snow cars

Reply #8
Quote from: midget28;201315
well theres one way to winterize them get that truck bed coating and spray the whole bottom of the car it would be messy but the stuff works.

yea i imagine that works, but i've heard that it adds a shiznit load of weight.  something like 100-200lbs...  of course it wouldnt be in the back or front only, being through out the car, but i dont think the added weight justifies it.  but to each their own.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

snow cars

Reply #9
well if u spray it on at the same thickness as the truck bed it would but if you put a lighter coating on just to prevent rust it might add about 10 pounds at best. they spray those bedliners over a 1/4 inch thick.

snow cars

Reply #10
well now im going to have to undercoat it now lol, i was thinking about it because it has like no rust
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

snow cars

Reply #12
I drive my 87 year round and living in western NY it gets a pretty fair amount of salt(hell, the roads are even white here) but I wash it alot and it leaks enough oil( 3.8 that wont die ) that it never sits long covered in the road . That combined with the fact that the car only cost 200 bucks it has been relegated to staying outside while my other birds stay in the garage.

snow cars

Reply #13
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;201358
What's snow???

Hush!  :beatyoass:

Snow wouldn't bother me, but all the salt they use is just crazy.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

snow cars

Reply #14
Drive the 96 during the winter, leave the other one under the tarp.
:birdsmily: Nate Wenck
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
2003 Ford F-150 Supercrew