Skip to main content
Topic: I have come to a cross roads..... (Read 1511 times) previous topic - next topic

I have come to a cross roads.....

I have been told I heve to get rid of a car or two or three....

Now problem is.

I have the cougar and I have my 88 bird.
------------------------------------------------------------
Pro's
The Bird has sentimental value. First car, brought my first son home in it, first ticket, Alot of firsts in that car.

The Cougar runs.
------------------------------------------------------------
Con's
The Cougar keeps my hands busy. A lot of things to fix. It has a mangled engine and dash harness.

The Bird has a 3.8 and a blown trans.
Been on jack stands for alomst 5 years now.

Now for the spare parts. :hick: Some have seen the garge and know what I'm talking about.

Queston is should I keep the Cougar with time invested and keep working out the bugs or should I keep the bird with its sentimental value.

Either way one is getting striped and all parts are going into the other car.

Reply #1
Who is telling this? I say F-ck that. Keep them all. If my wife told me one had to go I think she would be the one going! LOL I have an 84 Turbo cope, 85 XR7, 88 cougar LS totaled pile of parts, 94 cougar xr7 4.6L  I'm not getting rid of my toys to make her happy. It is to easy in todays world to find another female toy to play with.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #2
:birdsmily: slamedcat- Heres one vote to keep your cougar its still running and t-bird isn't. Looks like its time to say bye-bye birdy :cougarsmily: :cougarsmily:

Reply #3
That is a choice it's up to you to make.
But my experience with this is....Years ago I had the same choice to make. my "first" (same deal first "nice" car, brought my first son home in it, had 20+ tickets before I ever got it so not the ticket but the other two anyway) was in rough shape, it was not driving, needing a front fender and hood, engine tyranny was out of it... I let it go. "awww it's just a car"
That was 25 years ago, I would give my left nut to have that car back! I want to kick myself in the butt every time I see one similar (and the price of them..70 Torino GT factory 4 speed)

Sentimental value is one thing you can not buy, and if you nurture will only grow.

I would suggest take them busy hands off the cougar and put them on the bird.
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #4
I have my 88TC daily drver and two 79 cougars that have been sitting for about 3 years un-messed with that I have had for 7 years.  nobody is going to tell me that I have to get rid of anything, yes I have a little girl on the way but those cars arent causing any financial problems or anything and they arent tagged so no worries there.  I'd say that if your bird or the cougar arent costing you too much to keep then keep them both.

Reply #5
1 more vote to keep the Bird. How much is the cougar costing your to keep running??? (No need to answer), just a question for you to think about. 

John

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #6
Whats the word? "Thunderbird"

Reply #7
Well its more of a decision I made. I knew it was coming for some time. The cars are stored at my parents and friends places. So I don't really have time to drive out work on them and drive back. I have 3 kids and a job to keep up with also.

The cougar is going to cost me a shinny penny. It needs an new engine harness, dash harness, and a trans. The trans alone is $900. Almost the price of the car its self.

I have a 92 Tempo that is going, I'm parting out an 86 and 91 Mark VII. I have my Van and the 96 bird for DDs. Plus the Cougar. So I have a few cars stored at my parents and friends places.

The cougar has a rust free underside but the doors and rear quarters have surface rust. The Bird is completely rust free also.

Reply #8
keep the t-bird. you won't regret it. if you do get rid of it you will regret it.
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

Reply #9
I assume you are in an apartment? No storage sheds?
1987 TC

Reply #10
Get rid of both of them and look for one good runner to buy.

TED

Reply #11
If you have the kid, why do you need a car with memories of 'em?

I agree ditch them both and buy a good southern 88 xr7

Reply #12
Looks like either way your going to take a loss. I say get rid of the wife and have more $ to spend on the cars. ;)

Kidding. almost

Tough choice either way. Personally, if it's runningit's better than the one that's not.