Skip to main content
Topic: Passing Gear... (Read 3346 times) previous topic - next topic

Passing Gear...

Ok, here's another one for you guys. When I'm driving along doing about 35-40mph, just cruising along, and I Step on the gas, the car doesn't downshift (or if it does I don't really notice it) into passing gear. It just bogs down. I put in new Spark Plugs today, and I did notice increased power, the the downshift thing still happens.

Is there anyway to adjust the Downshift gear, is there a cable? Does the problem I mentioned above sound familiar to anyone?

[COLOR="Red"]UPDATE![/COLOR]

Ok guys, I just found this while looking under the hood. This cable with a Spring around it is just hanging underneath that metal bracket. Is this the Passing Cable? Is it supposed to be just hanging there, or is it supposed to be hooked up to that metal thing with the hole in it right above it?
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Passing Gear...

Reply #1
-if its not the bolt on kind, and theres a tit sticking out on the cable that looks like it goes in the hole, its missing the snap/push in grommet that goes in the hole.....
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Passing Gear...

Reply #2
From what I see that kinda looks like a Cruise controll cable. I haven't work on many auto tranny bird/cougars. I know I've read about an adjustment in the chilton/haynes manuals. I think that was for the C4-C6 tranny's. Someone that knows more will chime in.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Passing Gear...

Reply #3
that be the TV cable

Passing Gear...

Reply #4
Well, whatever it is, it was hanging, however I was able to buy a cheap metal clip and use it to reattach it to that metal thing above it. It seems to be downshifting now.
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Passing Gear...

Reply #5
be thankful you didnt grenade your tranny man...

Passing Gear...

Reply #6
That happened on the Vic a while ago ( same thing as here) Same fix too.

Passing Gear...

Reply #7
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;113763
that be the TV cable

Nuh-uh!

Passing Gear...

Reply #8
Nuh-uh!
Yuh-huh!!

TV cable parts properly located in throttle lever, everything wonderful (even with the famous disintegrating grommet):

TV cable dangling, trans about 5 minutes from being s:

Ford's brass replacement grommet and clip, F3SZ-7H303-B

Don't we read ALL the forums? It's been mentioned several times...

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=10788

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=9075
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Passing Gear...

Reply #9
Quote from: MasterBlaster;113904
Yuh-huh!
TV cable parts properly located in throttle lever, everything wonderful (even with the famous disintegrating grommet):

-Uh-Huh,
what he said....
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Passing Gear...

Reply #10
Quote from: MasterBlaster;113904
Yuh-huh!!

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=10788

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=9075

So can I pick up HBO and Skinemax on that? What about SpeedTV?