Skip to main content
Topic: aftermarket control arms (Read 9033 times) previous topic - next topic

aftermarket control arms

Reply #15
I would also tend to agree that with the extra heft of the Cougar/T-Bird chassis, especially the considerable weight after the axle along with a larger fuel tank, will greatly skew performance figures compared to a Mustang using the same product. With our cars, we have to be even more concerned about wear and tear. The weight distribution of the car has everything to do with everything.

I know you are always over at corner-carvers.com, Jeremy, and you definitely do your homework, and keep us up-to-date with info that may help us. Your opinions are very valuable. But my point is, I think those that have these products in real-world situations on our own chassis are going to provide the most realistic assessment for those wanting to purchase. We have two good opinions in this thread, one for each product, and that's great. We just have a huge need for more feedback, period.

aftermarket control arms

Reply #16
Quote from: EricCoolCats
We just have a huge need for more feedback, period.

Agreed. Thank God for the popularity of the Mustang, but it only get's us about 2/3 of the way to nirvana :rollin:
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

aftermarket control arms

Reply #17
Quote from: Cougar5.0
but it only get's us about 2/3 of the way to nirvana :rollin:

You rang?!?! :D , On a more serious note, how about making this a sticky, seems worthy enough of it to me :dunno: .
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

aftermarket control arms

Reply #19
Well, as far as feedback goes...sometime this summer I'm planning on throwing a set of CHE rear arms into my car, along with some bolt-on torque box reinforcements, so I could provide some feedback as to how they feel on the street if anyone wanted that :dunno: There are no tracks around here for me to go to.

BTW- On the subject of control arms, thought I might mention in case anyone is interested- there's a guy on ebay that has bolt-in upper & lower torque box reinforcements, VERY similar to the "battle boxes" that I've seen before (I can't remember who makes them), and he'll sell you a complete set of uppers & lowers for a very good price. I just bought the set for $97 shipped. The seller is dawnw111, search on ebay and you'll see em...e-mail the guy and he'll set you up a package deal like he did for me.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

aftermarket control arms

Reply #20
Quote from: Red_LX
Well, as far as feedback goes...sometime this summer I'm planning on throwing a set of CHE rear arms into my car, along with some bolt-on torque box reinforcements, so I could provide some feedback as to how they feel on the street if anyone wanted that :dunno: There are no tracks around here for me to go to.

BTW- On the subject of control arms, thought I might mention in case anyone is interested- there's a guy on ebay that has bolt-in upper & lower torque box reinforcements, VERY similar to the "battle boxes" that I've seen before (I can't remember who makes them), and he'll sell you a complete set of uppers & lowers for a very good price. I just bought the set for $97 shipped. The seller is dawnw111, search on ebay and you'll see em...e-mail the guy and he'll set you up a package deal like he did for me.

Hey, thanks for the tip on the torque box reinforcements - I need to get something to keep me from tearing out the rear end at the track.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

aftermarket control arms

Reply #21
Does anyone have any suggestions on front control arms?  I was looking t the ones from FRPP.

Would these work?

Or would I have to use these?

This is assuming that either of those work.  I don't see how the Cobra ones wouldn't work if the other ones do since the second ones upgrade the 79-93 to 96+.

aftermarket control arms

Reply #23
the 3075D is the 03 cobra arm. they will work. they are clearanced for wider rims and are pretty sweet. if your interested in them and can hold off awhile, i have brand new ones here. they may be too long for my tubular k member so ill need too sell them off for the shorter fox stang arms....ill cut ya some sort of deal if you are interested...
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

aftermarket control arms

Reply #24
This one is pretty old but I thought I would post up some hopefully useful information.

Griggs Racing sells lower control arms for the rear of our cars and I can say that they are nice pieces as the '83 has a set.  The ones I have are for coil over cars but that does solve the issue of wanting to adjust the rear ride height.  The part number for those using coil overs is MCA 4500 N and the part number for those running conventional coil springs is MCA 4500 S.  These are for a Fox Mustang but they are adjustable and work on our cars just fine.  Griggs does not make an upper control arm as they want you to run a torque arm in conjunction with a Watts link or panhard bar.

http://www.griggsracing.com

Global West sells both the lower control arms and the upper control arms for our cars.  The lower is T-Bird/Cougar specific and the upper is for a GM A-Body more specifically the 68-72.  I talked to Doug at GWS and they have a specific part number for the T-Bird UCA which is TBF-88.  The LCA is part number TBF-2.  They also have full length subframe connectors which I have on both of my cars and I will say they are awesome!  Easy to install and work like a champ.  The part number for the subframe connectors is 918 and I would also suggest getting the seat supports (part number 920) which are the same for the Fox Mustang.  I have a set of the TBF-88's but they are not installed to date...busy time of year in the pipeline world.

http://www.globalwest.net

My Mustang is a full Maximum Motorsports car (K-member, front lower control arms, CC plates, front coil overs, strut tower brace, torque arm, rear LCA's, rear coil overs, panhard bar) and I can say they build some of the best parts out there.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com

For those of you experiencing torque box issues I would have to say that if you did not fully weld them out then I am not surprised.  I had a buddy MIG weld the torque boxes and he also welded up the UCA mount points as well.  I have had zero issues on both cars.  The T-Bird had South Side Lift bars and ET Streets on it for about five years and if you know anything about the SSLB's they are absolutely one of the most punishing LCA's on torque boxes.  I do remember an article in MM&FF on welding out the torque boxes and it had some goofy title like "Torque Box Rebop" or something uncool like that but it was a really good article.  I may have that at the house as well so I will post back if I have it available for anyone who would like a copy.

With all of that said the GWS and Griggs parts are more expensive the the CHE's.  I have heard nothing but good things on this board about CHE both in parts and customer service so that in itself is fantastic.  I just wanted to post up what I have found and give some options for those that want to take it a step further in performance.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

aftermarket control arms

Reply #25
i have heard of people using lowers from fox body stangs but they are a smige longer??? are the uppers from the bird longer or shorter than fox/stang????
04 mach-1,white/black,4at..09 White BMW 3 series M-SPORT 6/at..87 turbo coupe,white,4at(project)

aftermarket control arms

Reply #26
The Fox body Mustang LCA's are actually shorter by about 3/8".  The Mustang UCA's are 1-1/8" shorter which is quite a bit more than the LCA's.

I used the South Side LCA's on my 83 for a Mustang but they come with an additional bracket that mounts to the rear end so I could make up the difference there and not change the wheel base.

Darren

aftermarket control arms

Reply #27
Thanx for the info Aerocoupe i think i will buy a set of subframe connectors from global west
seems to be a fine product

aftermarket control arms

Reply #28
They are really nice pieces.  They even provide the E-brake bracket on them.  Its been 12 years since I installed mine but I believe when you install the full length subframes you have to remove the factory E-brake bracket or something like that.  Anyhow, really nice and they tuck up tight against the floor board as they do not install below the existing subrames.

Darren

aftermarket control arms

Reply #29

che made me these