Skip to main content
Topic: Here's an odd question involving an AC delete (Read 2780 times) previous topic - next topic

Here's an odd question involving an AC delete

Is there a sort of aftermarket plug or cover or cap or other... filler... type... device... made to cover up the area in the firewall where the lines to the evaporator once were running through and now you have a giant hole in your engine compartment?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #1
Not for our cars, but, I think I have a polished aluminum cover panel I cut and shaped years ago with either two or four countersunk screw holes for mounting it. My plan was to apply a little sealant behind it and screw it to the firewall. Let me see if I can find it after work. If so, you can have it. All you'll have to do is drill a couple of small holes (2 or 4.....can't remember) then install the panel.It could easily be painted. If I can find it, I'd love to see it installed on a car.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
What? No A/C in Florida?:flame:

Reply #3
Quote from: flylear45;360393

I can't live without it in Buffalo.. I couldn't even imagine Florida without it..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4

lmao yeah that's about right.  Doesn't bother me too much though. I had no AC in the car when I got it so I just went ahead and took all the useless junk out of it after it was sitting and I did the heater core.  I like using the 2-55 air conditioning anyway. Hell the AC works in my tbird and the only time I use it is when its raining. Its just too hard to keep the whole car cool unless its blowing right in your face and then your face gets too cold and then you constantly have to keep adjusting and ....arghh. I'll just drop the windows. Its easier.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #5
Quote from: vinnietbird;360391
Not for our cars, but, I think I have a polished aluminum cover panel I cut and shaped years ago with either two or four countersunk screw holes for mounting it. My plan was to apply a little sealant behind it and screw it to the firewall. Let me see if I can find it after work. If so, you can have it. All you'll have to do is drill a couple of small holes (2 or 4.....can't remember) then install the panel.It could easily be painted. If I can find it, I'd love to see it installed on a car.

I was thinking more of something that would snap in place but let me see that I'll def consider it.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #6
If you look for a mustang without AC at a salvage yard, they have a foam piece that covers the opening.... but it installs from the inside of the car!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #7
On my Sport, I just unscrewed the fittings, left the core part there with the heater assemble....I may want to put air back in someday.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #8
:laughing::laughing:

Quote from: daminc;360396
I can't live without it in Buffalo.. I couldn't even imagine Florida without it..

IT SUCKS!

i'm in the middle of fixing mine in the Mark VIII.. between waiting for parts and now i have to get a new condenser just to be safe it's going to be three weeks with out A\C :(

with the heat we have down here just driving the back and forth from work with no A\C i lost 12 pounds.. and "280" A\C does'nt work either!

even my cat hesitates to venture out side.. :rollin: when open the door to let him out he walks to the edge of the doorway and he looks at me and i can see the look in his eyes like :flip: and walks back in the house and lies back down..

Quote from: sarjxxx;360398
lmao yeah that's about right.  Doesn't bother me too much though. I had no AC in the car when I got it so I just went ahead and took all the useless junk out of it after it was sitting and I did the heater core.  I like using the 2-55 air conditioning anyway. Hell the AC works in my tbird and the only time I use it is when its raining. Its just too hard to keep the whole car cool unless its blowing right in your face and then your face gets too cold and then you constantly have to keep adjusting and ....arghh. I'll just drop the windows. Its easier.

:laughing:

i'd like to see you try 255A\C here in palm beach :rollin:
it works great if you want to diet!

back in the early 90's in NY i pulled the A\C systm out of one of my mustangs i said to my self hell i can't remember when the summer months where real bad. so out it came and the next year! i found out what it's like to be a a boiled egg! i could go fast enough to circulate air threw the car to cool my A$$ off..
after that i vowed to never take the A\C out of a car that came with it factory! you can keep the 5HP loss i'll stay cool!

Nick
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

Reply #9
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;360404
On my Sport, I just unscrewed the fittings, left the core part there with the heater assemble....I may want to put air back in someday.

Mine were twisted and gnarled up which is most of the basis I removed it on anyway. So I cut them off flush with the heater box before I reinstalled it.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #10
Makes sense. I'm just giving you a hard time, Steve. :poke:

Reply #11
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;360404

+ Juan
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #12
yeah...... so here's what I wound up doing:hick:

Oughtta look ok after a little filler around the edges.

--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #13
so you bailed out on your a/c and kept your heater....IN FLORIDA!!!!!! lol
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported