Skip to main content
Topic: Have I lost my mind???????? (Read 2261 times) previous topic - next topic

Have I lost my mind????????

Reply #15
I'm all for keeping a car original, Like said you never know when these cars could be worth something. But since mine won't be close to oringinal anymore,  I have no choice but to improve it from what it used to be!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #16
Come to think of it, nothing about my car is close to original either. The suspension and exhaust is way different than stock, but the engine is still the V-6-modified though.

Chris
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

Reply #17
You need to shop around more at minimum.  AZ is a rip for most engine rebuilding stuff.  I got file-fit rings from online for $50 when AZ wanted $100 minimum.  Also, make them order the stuff you want.  They always stock the expensive replacement stuff hoping that your right now need will outweigh an additional $20.  The employees are lazy and push for you to get the in stocked stuff and get the hell out. (I know, I used to work there)

When I rebuilt my 302 HO I spent a little less than $400 and that included a new crank, timing set, rings etc.  Most came from AZ, some from O Reilly's (crank), the rest online.  I tossed on a set of slightly used eBay heads (World Windsor Jr.) a TFS1 Cam, new lifters, Roller rockers, and a secondhand Edelbrock Performer intake clone for grand total less than $1000.00.  The new engine really hauls ass compared to the SO.  I keep hoping to grenade my 7.5".

Rich mustang guys are always aching to sell their performance parts so they can buy new ones.  I would have sold you my entire Supercoupe for that kind of cash (still for sale).  There is a subculture of V6 mustang guys which probably have the same drive.

Anyway, my parting advice.  Don't keep receipts.  Most likely you wont get out what you put in.  It's all about the fun of working on it and driving it.

Some day, I want to put a turbo Straight 6 300, bored out 0.03 = 302 cubes and more torque than your grandma at a rock concert.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.