Skip to main content
Topic: Have I lost my mind???????? (Read 2260 times) previous topic - next topic

Have I lost my mind????????

So I spent 2 hours and $1700 at autozone today and keep asking myself is this thing really worth it. $1700 to rebuild the 3.8 and that doesn't include any machine shop work that it may need.(hopefully none)

I know some will ask how I could of spent that much to do a rebuild,but..... let me say that the only thing that I am keeping is the block and heads. EVERYTHING else is getting replaced,crank,cam,pistons,valves,everything. and thats just the internal.Everything external is getting replaced to,plugs,wires,distributor,TPS,ISC,injectors(tbi rebuild)

plus I'm replacing the radiator,power steering pump and lines,the rack and tie rods.

but at this point I gotta think would it of been cheaper to do a V8 swap.
'85 tbird base 3.8 auto full power on the interior.
to do list- motor rebuild, swap in disc's for the rear and???????????:birdsmily:

Reply #1
I think, to each their own.  I would have done a V8 swap for that kind of money. 

The V6 should run well when finished and get decent MPG.  Good luck, however you go with it.  Pics please.
Mike

Reply #2
for 1700 buck you shouldve got a remaned motor, or a 5.0 swap.
for that much you couldve got a whole car for parts and had money left to spare.
yes, you lost your mind.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #3
Quote from: Ductape91;310072
for 1700 buck you shouldve got a remaned motor, or a 5.0 swap.
for that much you couldve got a whole car for parts and had money left to spare.
yes, you lost your mind.

orig. I had planned on doing the 5.0l swap,but the donor veh. was sold before I came up with the cash.then I got to wondering about all the additional hidden cost's I was gonna run into and the down time.

besides I keep telling myself that this just set's me up for a morrana stroker kit next year or so.I like the idea of it all being oe.hell who knows some day somebody might decide that these things are worth something.
to do list- motor rebuild, swap in disc's for the rear and???????????:birdsmily:

Reply #4
Don't worry, I'm way farther in then that, and I had the parts car motor for the 5.0 swap on top of that. :hick:

I'm thinking I should have just rebuilt the 3.8 right about now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
Quote from: '85bluebird;310074
hell who knows some day somebody might decide that these things are worth something.

OK, now its official, you have lost your  mind.:rollin::rollin:
Mike

Reply #6
I have a 1990 3.8 from a Super Coupe, minus the M-90 blower.

:burnout:
Welcome to AMERICA...........Learn to speak english!

To ALL my fellow Veterans........Thanks!

U. S. Army 1971 - 1974

1990 35TH Anni Super Coupe
1992 Five Speed Super Coupe
1994 4.6 LX Thunderbird
1995 4.6 LX Thundebird

Reply #7
So I spent 2 hours and $1700 at autozone today

Is that for the motor, or for everything? 

If you really wanted to stick with a v6, way back, a magazine did a SC drivetrain swap into a TC.  Nice combo.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
Dude-You have def lost your mind!!!!

Reply #9
Quote from: t3skidoo;310091
Is that for the motor, or for everything? 

If you really wanted to stick with a v6, way back, a magazine did a SC drivetrain swap into a TC.  Nice combo.

that was for everything. I am replacing almost everything in the engine bay, after the tranny rebuild this will for the most part be a new car. it also goes in for paint in may(hopefully)

of the few sc within a reasonable distance  all were gonna more than likely need a rebuild anyway. and who knows I still may do a v8 swap in it in a year or so.but I really like the idea of doing a Morana stroker but that's another day. my reasoning right now is that I can get this all done in a week maybe less(I work 12hrs a day/6 days a week),and it will drop right back in. and be a reliable daily driver again. where to do a proper v8 swap the right way it could take monthes with my work schedule.

Reply #10
Should've gone for 4.2 internals. Who needs an aftermarket stroker when you can go with a factory one?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
I don’t’ think you have lost your mind. It’s 1700 bucks, but it’s more than just the motor we are talking about. Most importantly it’s about its worth to you. There are allot of peeps who think our cars are only good for s, on the other hand others like us love them. I will be staring on my 3.8 in the summer. I’m interested in your engine specs. Another thing to look at is your driving. Personally I don’t get on the gas that much, so the v6 has plenty to offer for my driving habits. Also, I’m more impressed with guys able to get power out a v6 than a v8. V8’s are little more easy to get power out of than a v6 ( for the 80’s cars ).  Best of luck with your build. And deff post up some pics.

Reply #12
will post photo's once the tear down starts. was supposed to be today,but life happens.

as far as specs it wont be much off of stock.I'll be porting and polishing the heads,but everything else is staying oe. I'm hoping to have the local exhaust shop build me a y pipe and eliminate the cat since emissions no longer effect my car.also will be eliminating the AC
while I have it all tore out,there by freeing up some much needed power.

I put an average of 60 miles a week on it,thats back and forth to work,and some ocasional unwinding cruises.

Reply #13
Removing your A/C won't free up any power. Fords use a WOT cutout relay that shuts the compressor off when you floor the car. It will save a little bit of weight and might (arguably, it's a contentious subject) give you an extra MPG or two. No extra power though...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #14
I built a 3.8 for my 87 Tbird, and it's a lot of fun. Check out my car domain page for pics and part numbers.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/chris1987lx

Send me a P.M. if you have any questions.

The V-8 swap is very popular, but I decided to do something that wasn't really done. I wanted to keep true to my VIN. As for the value of V-6 cars vrs. V-8 cars, the latest figures on the 83-86 Thunderbirds only shows a 300-500 dollar difference in favor of the V-8 powered Birds. With enough people doing motor swaps, I just might end up with a rare car!

Chris
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry