Skip to main content
Topic: Glossary (Read 5058 times) previous topic - next topic

Glossary

OK...I know I'm still pretty new to Foxes, and to a degree Fords in general, but I think having a glossary of these acronyms you guys use would be really helpful to people new to the game and who are just learning.

I've seen many acronyms or perhaps some sort of factory designation for a particular body style or whatever (such as S-197 for a Mustang like mine) and I have no idea what you guys are referring to. I also figure I'm not the only one. Like an SN-95 or when you are talking about parts.

I know it would be work, but it might cut down on some questions. Then again, knowing how people who have never been on a forum before have a tendency to NOT pay attention, read, and hijack threads, maybe it wouldn't be much help after all.

just a thought
5 Mopars, an S-197, and the Turbo Twinkie[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glossary

Reply #1
i think thats a cool idea....but who would volenteer to do the work??? Theres quite a few acronyms for these cars....
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Glossary

Reply #2
Yeah, I know. It will be a pain for sure. And I really don't have a good idea as to how to go about it. The other forums I'm on either are lacking the use of the acronyms, or I already know what they are and I don't notice their use lol
5 Mopars, an S-197, and the Turbo Twinkie[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glossary

Reply #3
How about we make an acronyms thread. then we could all add to it...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Glossary

Reply #4
Great idea Haystack...... TPS- Throttle position sensor......just to kick things off :)
[/IMG]

Glossary

Reply #5
I got an easy one...TC=Turbo Coupe ;)

How about XR7...what exactly does that one mean? lol
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Glossary

Reply #6
IAC=Idle Air Control
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Glossary

Reply #7
Quote from: 50tbrd88;249724
I got an easy one...TC=Turbo Coupe ;)

Well, the cougar is XR-7
Falcon is the XR6
Merkur is the XR4Ti
91-94 capri has the XR2

I have heard that in australia the XR6 is referred to as eXperimental Racing 6...

All models with the XR badge were designed by the racing divisions of there manufacturers. However, being as all of these were in the 80's-90's, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the 1967 XR-7...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Glossary

Reply #8
Im  guessing LS- luxury sport...
[/IMG]

Glossary

Reply #9
Quote from: 50tbrd88;249724

It means 'cool' or 'the best' ;)

EEC - Electronic Engine Control
dizzy - Distributer (not really an acronym, but what the heck)
ACT - Air Charge Temperature Sensor or signal circuit.
CANP - Canister Purge soleniod.
CFI - Central Fuel Injection
EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
SEFI - Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection........

An acronyms thread is a great idea, but with so many, you'd probably be better off just asking in a thread, "Hey guy, what does that abbr mean?".  There's no such thing as a stupid question, lol, just stupid answers :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Operation: X Marks the Spot
5.0L SEFI, AOD, 8.8" 3.02 TracLok - All Stock

Glossary

Reply #10
Quote from: massCougarxr7;249747
Im  guessing LS- luxury sport...

That's what I've always thought.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glossary

Reply #11
Low speed
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Glossary

Reply #12
LOL

:rollin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glossary

Reply #13
lot slow
little scary
last scotch
little screwy
little sedative
lot shameless
little skimpy
little sorcery
 long spanking
last specimen
little speechless
long spoof
late stimulant
last strayed
long suckle
 little surprised
lost symbol

just a few i can find:D
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Glossary

Reply #14
lmfao....
[/IMG]