Skip to main content
Topic: Moving to Iowa - Who's there? Hello? (Read 1388 times) previous topic - next topic

Moving to Iowa - Who's there? Hello?

I can't believe I'm doing this, but John Deere in Waterloo, Iowa has made an offer that I have accepted to work in their Engine Engineering group.

We are moving to Iowa.  So long San Antonio, we thought we'd be here forever.

In case your wondering, I grew up in Waterloo, so you think I'd know better.  I swore I'd never go back, but never thought I'd get an offer from Deere.  Waterloo/Cedar Falls has about 110k people and growing and has changed alot since I was a kid.  So my view of the area has changed for the better.

Reply #1
I can relate to you, I left NY after college saying I would never go back to snow and headed for FL. After almost 20 years there I came back, now I work for myself, have a house with a massive garage and 5 acres, which would have cost close to a mil in FL and while it still sucks when it snows or is cold I still think I made the right move(OMG I think I might have grown up a bit) Anyhow congrats on the new job and good luck in your new locale.  My Dad is from Iowa as well, Storm Lake area.

Reply #2
Thanks, man.  Yeah, having an acre with a pole barn is the goal and very doable in Waterloo.  And still only driving 15 minutes to work.  Can't find that in SA, TX.

Reply #3
Congrats :cheers: on your new job, xjeffs and hope your move to Iowa will be a safe one for you & your family. Plus you are getting alot closer to CatJam country. :)

Reply #4
Hey man, Cedar Falls!! That's the drag strip my Ford Club has their annual picnic at in the Fall. Well, we used to, but we've been slacking lately. Guess who beat my 69 Torino 428CJ in the eliminations and went on to win the club championship last time? My son in his 87 Turbo Coupe. He doesn't let me forget that. Anyway, welcome back to the North Country! Hope you have a safe move and score a place with a big garage.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #5
Where do you run in CF?  Drag strip, University, Greenhill road?

Reply #6
I'll be at the cedar falls raceway a few times this summer.  I'll have to hit you up.

Reply #7
Stock up on rust free parts just in case.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #8
xjeffs, we run at the dragstrip in Cedar Falls. It's not a bad track. For those who didn't know, and if anyone cares, that is the track where Pinks started. The first several shows were shot there. Anyway, I'll have to let you and stuntman know the next time we come down. My wife wants to bring her car down there sometime to see what it will do.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #9
congrats xjeffs. Our CEO, Bill Van Sant (now moved on) used to be the general manager where you are going.  I work with his stepson.
1987 TC

Reply #10
Find some storage for the cat. Midwest winters take no mercy...

Well atleast its not a totally new place. Congrats on the job too
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #11
Quote from: daminc;217527
Stock up on rust free parts just in case.

Luckily, my car is a rust free part.:D

Reply #12
Quote from: xjeffs;217629
Luckily, my car is a rust free part.

LOL ... good one!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #13
-Waterwho?????......lol:hick:
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #14
Quote from: xjeffs;217629
Luckily, my car is a rust free part.:D
not for long, lol.  even new cars rust within 5 years.
1987 TC