Skip to main content
Topic: should i fire him (Read 2567 times) previous topic - next topic

should i fire him

wow what a day ...i asked one of my mechanics to come in today to help me disasemble the 88 gt i picked up this weekend all was going well we got the whole car stiped down to litterly nothing .well now comes time for me to get those 11inc brakes from the front to put in my 87 cougar...i told him to remove every thing except the sway bar and endlinks as to keep preasure on the spring..a few min go by and he tells me there ready to come out.i walk over and grab the strut to pull the assmbly out and ...wabam it felt like being hit the face with a concreat block at 20mph....the idiot removed the end link and when i pulled the strut out the sping let go sending the strut into my face so now after a skent and brused chin 4 stiches in my upper lip and knocking 2 teeth loose should i fire this guy or repremend him and doc his pay the $255.00 hospital bill.i mean  4 more inches up and this could have killed me...luckily my teeth will be fine it dosent look bad from the pic but the half inch laseration on my lip is where the strut bolt olmost went all the what through my lip ...what would you guys do
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

should i fire him

Reply #1
Nah don't fire him, but a good repremand and don't dock his pay. Actually since you already knew it was this dangerous you should have taken the moment to look yourself to see that it was ok to pull the strut. Just my 2cents you have to share part of the blame in this.

BTW why is your mustache GREEN?:D

should i fire him

Reply #2
if your in a position with hire/fire authority
and.....
have to come to a car web site to seek an answer
then,,,,,,
you might want to think long and hard about the power you have as well as your capacity to execute it in a manner that is not going to put you in an awkward situation later.

Your throwing a tantrum, your the supervisor.  Supervisors dont assume all is well.  They assume the worst and inspect for the best.  You issued a task and the task was not per your spec.  Ill bet if you look back on it,you will probably realize you didnt explain what you wanted clearly enough and perhaps hes been trying to point that out.  Training isnt pointing a few bolts and such then walking away.  Working with someone side by side is best if infact this guy is still a rather green pea.

I wouldnt doc pay or any of that , your young and you'll grow a new one:D

should i fire him

Reply #3
btw, they make tools for this sort of stuff but here is what i used.  If you dont have this tool or something along the lines of this, you might wanna consider it a safety device.  Others could have been hurt as well as the mechanic of yours.  Unfortunately, if the mechanic got hurt, that bill would have been on you.

should i fire him

Reply #4
Considering this ordeal prob'ly scared the shiznit out of him. I think if you sit him down and calmly explain to him the importance of paying attention and thinking things through, this sort of thing is not likely to happen again.

should i fire him

Reply #5
How old is he,and how long has he been a mechanic?I've seen a lot of guys who do this stuff for a living and are still learning things every day.You'll heal up fine.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

should i fire him

Reply #6
You walked away and assumed he knew exactly what you wanted....I hate to say it, but that in itself was mistake #1.  Mistake #2 was not inspecting his work before tearing into something potentially dangerous.

Get well soon.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

should i fire him

Reply #7
you gotta chalk this one up as both your faults. i dont know the age of your mechanic, his experience level, nor yours for that matter, but i will tell you both this: an endlink is NOT a limiting device for a loaded coil spring. period.
most especially not a ~20yo endlink with unknown history. ALWAYS use some form of positive location on the lower control arm(jack, jack stand, etc.) or a spring compressor, to contain the pressure of the spring.

in your position, you should be glad you didnt get hit with a part directly moved by the spring, or the spring itself. also be glad it wasnt your mechanic who got hurt.

for $255 and 4 stitches, you got off cheap. lesson learned, i hope.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

should i fire him

Reply #8
Quote from: V8Demon;206116
You walked away and assumed he knew exactly what you wanted....I hate to say it, but that in itself was mistake #1.  Mistake #2 was not inspecting his work before tearing into something potentially dangerous.

Get well soon.

X2...  get well soon man....  think of it this way....  Many people that have had the samething happen to them in there back yard....  Arent around anymore to talk about it...  Im not religious, but...  SOMEBODY was sitting on your shoulders at that point.  Take care man

should i fire him

Reply #9
Is this a trend with this guy?  Does he have great potential or is he maxed out on potential?  His history should play into your decision.

should i fire him

Reply #10
the people working for you are only as good as your ability to check in on them and making sure they are do what they are supposed the way they are supposed to do it. sucks that you got hurt but it is as much your fault as his.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

should i fire him

Reply #11
Quote from: gumby;206124
you gotta chalk this one up as both your faults. i dont know the age of your mechanic, his experience level, nor yours for that matter, but i will tell you both this: an endlink is NOT a limiting device for a loaded coil spring. period.
most especially not a ~20yo endlink with unknown history. ALWAYS use some form of positive location on the lower control arm(jack, jack stand, etc.) or a spring compressor, to contain the pressure of the spring.

*ding

should i fire him

Reply #12
Quote from: xjeffs;206142
Is this a trend with this guy?  Does he have great potential or is he maxed out on potential?  His history should play into your decision.

Humm, you nailed it right there cause thats what really matters long term.

should i fire him

Reply #13
Hope your ok.
In my line of work I never trust anyone to do the same quality work as me, and also goes for safety. Even if I know the person will get the job done, I always go through the steps with them to be sure no one will get hurt or die.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

should i fire him

Reply #14
yup, you should have doublechecked first. you could can him but you have zero right to dock his pay. you do that and you might need another few stitches. if his work sucks or he is lazy or slow or whatever and or his performance otherwise has sucked in the past he should probably go. if this is more of a first offense than its "excusable" as it doesnt necessarily mean this guys a liability. you probably should have had spring compressors on them or taken some sort of precaution. i know a kid that cought a spring in the face that way and needed surgurys to get his face back into shape.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~