Skip to main content
Topic: What an AWESOME day! (Read 983 times) previous topic - next topic

What an AWESOME day!

It was the "Grand Re-Opening" of PIR (Portland International Raceway) today. I got there at 10, watched the ribbon-cutting, and then wandered around for 2 hours taking pictures of cars (12+ Elise/Exige's, Lambo Gallardo, Murcielago, and Superlegga, Ferrari 360, F430 x 2, F355, 308GTS, and 348GT, vintage MG's/Triumph's, Porsche's out the wazoo, Subie's/EVO's, Mustangs, it goes on and on and on!).

Then the RX-7 showed up. 83 GSL model (rear discs, posi, 5-Speed, manual steering, glass/metal targa top, RED ON RED :hick: ). I bought it. :D:D

Then the road course opened up, you got 3 laps in a run group for $10. I went 4 times. On the 3rd run I was last behind a GTO who was behind the Murcielago. We did 105-110 on the backstretch! Roadracing is sooooooooooo much fun!

Then drag racing started! Met a crazy old dude who never (legally) drag raced before, had a yellow 04 GTO with flames that looked familiar. Turned out it was the Bonneville car (183 MPH record)! He bought the thing off of eBay on a whim! Had a rollcage and all sorts of mods for LSR/Open Road racing, definitely NOT setup for drag racing! Anyways, he needed to borrow a helmet, and I had mine. Long story short he made 3 passes, and I got 1 (13.8@103 on 35-series Z-rated tires). Very cool car and owner.

And of course I raced the 'Vic! 15.1@91 and change first run out! With some traction it will do 14's easy (they didn't VHT the track at ALL). Did some AWESOME burnouts in it too with the spotlight on ;)

So in summary, I bought a car, road-raced for hours, made some new friends, drag raced for hours, and got some killer pics and vids of the whole thing (I have in-car video of the road racing where I was chasing the GTO and Lambo ;) )

What an AWESOME day!

Reply #3
:hick:

Those guys are too "uptight" for me.

There was 1 fox Bird at the drag strip, started life as an 85 or 86 TC, Med Red over Charcoal 2-tone, Charcoal interior, vent windows, it had a 5-lug swap with Cobra brakes and staggered Bullit's, lowered, looked oh-so-nice! Had a 5.0 swap and ran 14.8's. I ran him once with the 'Vic and buried him on the tree ;) Very nice car though!

It's funny though, I bought an RX-7, raced the 'Vic, and raced someone else's GTO, and I'd still rather hang out with you guys.

Ted should have came down and went around the roadcourse in the Cad-T-Bird :hick:

What an AWESOME day!

Reply #5
The GTO and the 'Vic at the drags. The pics of the TBird didn't come out :(

What an AWESOME day!

Reply #6
neat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

What an AWESOME day!

Reply #7
Since you are out at PIR, ever see this thing ?

I've been following the build online and he's out at PIR quite a bit (although usually in his Mini, not he DP1) Here is his site: http://www.dpcars.net/
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

What an AWESOME day!

Reply #8
I haven't seen that thing before, looks cool though!

Weirdest car out there was a 3-wheeled Honda Prelude. He hacked the roof off, and everything aft of the doors, welded on a non-driven swingarm with a massive tire, and left the nose stock.

I did *not* understand it at all...