Skip to main content
Topic: Very angry... (Read 1901 times) previous topic - next topic

Very angry...

My job doesn't leave me enough time to work on my car so when I need something more than basic maintenance I take it to one of the mechanics that have shops behind our shop. I took it to one to have some work done a few months ago and was less than impressed with his work. So when I decided to replace the thermostat and the fan I took it to one of the other shops.

So today I'm driving to work when I feel an odd vibration coming from the engine. It got really bad as I turned into our parking lot and as I put the car in reverse to back into my spot I lost the power steering. I was a bit preturbed until I opened the hood to see what was going on.

First thing I notice is the serp. belt is off at the water pump. Next thing I notice is the fan is sitting crooked. So is the WP pulley. The bolts for the fan/pully are backed out and haning loose in the fan spacer and the threads don't look too good.

Apparently the new mechainic hasn't heard of Loc-Tite. Result? WP pulley is chewed up and unusable. This was an underdrive pulley from Ford Racing, $130 for the kit, and I doubt Jegs will sell me just the WP pulley.

So when I go to confront said half-assed mechanic, guess what? He's gone. I don't mean out to lunch, I mean GONE! Apparently he has been stealing catalytic converters from the cars he was working on and replacing them with straight pipe. There is a felony arrest warrent out for him now.

He better hope the police find him before I do. They just want to put him in jail. I want the sonovabitch DEAD! I want his family DEAD! I want his house burned to the ground! I want to drive by in the middle of the night and piss on his ashes!

Yeah, I'm a little angry.

Very angry...

Reply #1
Ouch, im glad I do as much of my own work on my car as I can...
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Very angry...

Reply #2
Quote from: bhazard;167336
Ouch, im glad I do as much of my own work on my car as I can...

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
:birdsmily:

Very angry...

Reply #3
this is why i make time to work on my cars... i just don't trust anyone else.

by the way... remind me never to piss you off.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Very angry...

Reply #4
Three things to remember about guys:

Dont get between them and their cars

Dont get between them and their girls and/or families

Dont get between them and their food

Obviously, one of these rules has been violated.  Go kick his ass!

Very angry...

Reply #5
Honestly, I'm not related to the guy.............AT ALL. No family in Columbus either.
That really sucks, especialy being your daily, and only as well. I'm sure if you hunted one up, (pully) somewhere on the net, you might be able to find someone who's got one of those cheap. Time being, what are you doing for transportation? Call me if I can be of help.

Very angry...

Reply #6
Get with any of the companies that sell the underdrives and you can buy an individual pulley.Fila is sending me two underdrives and I got the new alternator pulley shipped to me last wek.Even paid through Pay-Pal.I look for undredrives on E-bay,contacted one of the companies,all fixed up.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Very angry...

Reply #7
UPDATE:

Decided to get a new fan spacer and bolts and hobble it home. One problem. Threads on one of the holes in the water pump are so messed up I can't get the threads on a new bolt started.

Looks like I'm gonna have to replace the water pump, pulley and belt.

Very angry...

Reply #8
you cant clean it up with a thread chaser?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Very angry...

Reply #9
Can you run a tap through the messed up hole to clean up the threads?

32V: You beat me to it. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very angry...

Reply #10
I'm gonna try that as a temp fix but I won't trust it for long.

Very angry...

Reply #11
are you using a mechanical fan? (no clutch)

i'd ditch for an electric fan. car will rev a lot faster.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Very angry...

Reply #12
Did is strip the holes in the waterpump? It might be an excuse to upgrade that maybe

Or like 32v said, do an E fan

Very angry...

Reply #13
a ford taurus fan works well.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Very angry...

Reply #14
What about putting a bolt through with a nut on the backside/frontside?