Skip to main content
Topic: This Board Does it TOO!!! (Read 2992 times) previous topic - next topic

This Board Does it TOO!!!

Why is it that, if I go to read a thread and I'm reading for a while, when I come back out to the forum all of the new threads are marked as "read?"  That annoys me greatly and CougarNuts does the same  thing.  Does anyone know why?  :mad:
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Re: This Board Does it TOO!!!

Reply #1
I'm trying to dig into it for ya Jim. At first glance it doesn't seem like there's an admin control on that time limit, unless Carm has found something I don't know about.

Reply #2
doesn't happen to me on either...

Reply #3
its happened to me more than a few times, only i just thought i was crazy or something, now that somebody eles had it happen i know im not :p

Reply #4
I wouldn't go that far ;)

Reply #5
doesn't happen to me on either...

Maybe you are a faster reader than me or something.  I've noticed that it doesn't happen all the time, only when I've been in a thread for more than 5 or 10 minutes.  I will have to time it and see.  I'm almost certain it's some kind of timeout setting.  But it happens every time if I have to do something in the middle of reading a thread, I come back to it several minutes later and the entire board looks like it has no new messages.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #6
I haven't found the setting yet either, though it may be something in the user CP that individual users can set. When I'm back on the highspeed I'll dig a little deeper.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
FOUND IT!!!

The defailt setting was 900 seconds (15 minutes). I changed it to 3600 (one hour).

[willy]That should do it![/willy]
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #8
Nice Willy quote, Sam.
Here's my favorite:
"KEEP OOT" (on the door to Willy's closet)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
You, sir, are awesome.  That has been the one thing that I liked better about ezBoard over vBulletin.  Thank you so much for changing that setting!
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #10
its happened to me many times but i don't think anything of it
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #11
dam your good :)

Reply #12
Thunder Chicken, where'd you find that "time out for cookie" thing?

Reply #13
changed it to 3600 (one hour).
I guess there's no way to set the "who's on" separately from the "mark as read" timer? The attached image seemed to say they both use the same variable. I sometimes have to log off, leaving some messages / forums unread, and it would be nice for them to stay that way until *I* say so.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #14
Masterblaster: Nope, they're all the same setting. I know what you mean, but this seems to be the one bad thing about Vbulletin when compared to EZBoard.

jmfulco: the setting was in the administrator control panel, under "General board options". It's a global setting for the entire board (not changeable by individual members).